Honda model HRR2169VLA not charging battery

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
May be, but the specs for your charger say for 6-cell lead acid batteries. My experience says they will not fully charge your type of battery. Unless they become fully charged, the battery life is extremely shorted. Just my opinion, whether it applies to your battery is up to you.

Chathamite

Threads
I agree that it is for a 6-cell battery. However, I have used with success the PeleusTech 12V 14.4V 1A Float charger for AGM, GEL, SLA and FLA batteries (Amazon). Currently have another battery charging with it currently. I have used it for the past two years and get a charge of 13.4 volts when battery is freshly charged.

My concern still remains the mower is not currently charging the battery properly.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Let’s start over. You state a fully charged battery 13.6 VDC will spin the engine over fine and start the mower. If you let it sit for a week your battery voltage only reads 12.3 VDC and turn the starter very slowly, won’t start the engine. If this is correct, I would be doing the following, in this order.
1. Fully charge the battery, install your VOM across the battery terminals and start the engine. As it is cranking read battery voltage.
2. Once the engine starts, at full throttle, take a second battery voltage reading.
3. Let the unit sit for a week, connect your VOM across the battery terminals and read battery voltage.
4. Now try to start engine and take a reading while cranking. If it starts repeat step #2. If it doesn’t start, try pull starting and repeat step #2.
Let us know each of your readings. From them we should be able to tell you if you have a bad battery, bad stator or a voltage drain in the system.

Chathamite

Threads
I will try all of the above and let you know. I have two batteries-the original which is 9 years old and an ExpertPower EXP1213 which has very little difference in specs from the original (12V 1.3AH/20HR). I have both charged and removed from the mower to measure daily the voltage drop from both batteries while out of the mower. The original battery GEP shows 12.97 volts today. The ExpertPower has 13.77 volts today. I will measure each battery daily to see how much battery drainage occurs (if any) before reinstalling in the mower.

It will be difficult to use the VOM meter while installing in the mower due to the "T" style connections but I will try. I did attach the VOM to the leads coming from the mower and since there is only one speed while running-the measure of volts coming from the charging system was only 6.3 volts (should have been at least 12 volts) in order to charge/maintain the battery status.

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
average life of a lead cell battery is 4 years. You are over double that with the 9 year one. I wouldn't even be considering it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I pull the spade connectors off slightly so I can clamp an alligator clip on the battery terminal. Charging output should be over 12.6 VDC to fully charge a battery. As sg said normal battery life for those batteries is 3-5 years. It wouldn’t surprise me if we find both the stator and the batteries are bad.

HurstGN

Threads
Any additional readings?

Chathamite

Threads
I have used a fully charged battery (14.4 volts), installed it in the mower, started the mower using only the electric start, touching the Multimeter probes to the positive and negative terminals of the installed battery to the only spot I could find which is when the terminals on the mower battery are slightly exposed, I had a reading of 16.64 volts while charging. I am not starting the mower for at least a week to see if the battery discharges while resting. I will also again measure the voltage while restarting the mower, hopefully using the electric start. I'm not sure why I am getting a reading of 16.64 volts while charging but I tested the rate at least 3 different times and got the same reading each time, again with a fully charged battery. Still monitoring the situation.

Chathamite

Threads
Replace the battery with a new one from Amazon. Same battery mentioned in other post regarding hr217 battery. It arrived with 12.7 volts. I installed it and charging rate at mower terminals was 14.3 while mower is running. For $15 it is working well but have only used it twice.

HurstGN

Threads
Do you have a link? I looked for local batteries and I found the cheapest to be $35 or more, and they weren't an exact fit on the specs.