Honda model HRR2169VLA not charging battery

Chathamite

Threads
My multimeter indicates while the mower is running, I am only getting 6.2 volts to the battery-not enough to charge the battery. I last fall replaced the starter assembly since it was failing to start the mower. Starter now works fine and if I remotely charge the battery, the battery fully charged shows 13.4 volts, more than enough to start the mower. I am concerned as to why I am only getting 6.3 volts to the battery while the mower is running. Any suggestions?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
check the model number again

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most like it is a HRR216K9 VLAA. Will need serial number as there is 4 IPLs listed for this model. On this mower's engine the stator appears to be part the ignition coil.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
where is the regulator? If there is none, and it just gets a pulse each time thru that 3 amp fuse, the peak voltage may not be readable with a meter. You may need an oscilloscope to see the spike. But I would think that there should be a diode somewhere in that system to keep the battery from discharging back thru the winding.

Last edited:

Chathamite

Threads
Is there a way to test the stator to see if it is putting out 12+ volts?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
the actual pulse may not be measureable with a meter, I don't know. An oscilloscope might let you see the peak voltage, and polarity. Is the 3 amp fuse good?

Last edited:

Chathamite

Threads
It is good but I replaced it with another to test the voltage, still only 6.3 volt output. Last year when checking the battery, there was 12.4 volts output at the battery terminals with the engine running-now about half that amount being produced.