Honda model HRR2169VLA not charging battery

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is good but I replaced it with another to test the voltage, still only 6.3 volt output. Last year when checking the battery, there was 12.4 volts output at the battery terminals with the engine running-now about half that amount being produced.
is the battery fully charged? Maybe there is no surplus voltage and the battery is pulling it down. Also make sure no corrosion on any of the connectors. Has the coil been replaced?

Chathamite

Threads
Battery fully charged with external charger and no sign of corrosion anywhere. Original coil-mower pull starts first pull.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Battery fully charged with external charger and no sign of corrosion anywhere. Original coil-mower pull starts first pull.
The question is the mower recharging the battery itself without the external charger?

Since I haven't seen this setup I can't be specific about the charging system but it does appears to be a pulsed DC system. Most meters only reads average RMS voltage even when reading DC voltages of this type so the reading will be lower; although, with the battery in the circuit it will be smooth out to closer to pure DC due the capacitive loading effect of the battery. The battery is such a large capacitor you never reach peak impulse voltage until it is fully charged. You can not get an accurate reading without the battery attached. Plus your test needs to done at full throttle, readings at idle will be lower.

1647603895111.png
1647603747148.png1647603827686.png

Last edited:

Chathamite

Threads
I don't believe the mower is charging the battery. When installing a newly-charged battery with an external charger, I get 13.4 volts. The starter will crank the engine quickly. A week or so later, the battery will show about 12.3 volts, which should be enough to start the mower. However, the mower will start crank slowly but eventually start. Have tried a new battery-still same results-engine turns over slowly. Even if I use the pull-rope to start the engine, the starter will crank slowly even with a warm engine and mowing for at least 30 minutes. I have a new starter which works great with a fully charged battery from an external charger. It is after not mowing for at least a week, starter acts like it has a very low battery charge-it will barely turn over (sometimes it will NOT work at all-just hear the whirring sound of the Bendix.

Have tried two different batteries with the same result. When this mower was new in 2013 I never worried about an electric start. It would work all season without any problems. Took the battery out for the winter, charged it in the Spring, installed it and it worked all year.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What type of charger are you using to remotely charge your batteries? Honda service makes a point to say that using and automotive style charger will ruin the battery. I’ve also seen Toro batteries, same type as Honda, fail when using this style of charger.

Chathamite

Threads
What type of charger are you using to remotely charge your batteries? Honda service makes a point to say that using and automotive style charger will ruin the battery. I’ve also seen Toro batteries, same type as Honda, fail when using this style of charger.

Chathamite

Threads
It as float charger (battery maintainer)-not an automotive charger. Specifically, it is a Battery Tender Junior.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Chathamite

Threads
In looking at the battery, model GEP Power Products GP-2795-09 25CCA indicates it contains lead. Are you sure it is Lithium? It appears to be a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery, 1.3 Amp 12 Volt Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) with T1 terminals. It indicates it contains Sulfuric Acid.

Last edited:

HurstGN

Threads
That is a lead acid battery