Honda hrx2173hyc VS. Toro Timemaster 30 - I can't decide!

shaknbake

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda hrx2173hyc VS. Toro Timemaster 30 - I can't decide!
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum here. I've been researching both of these machines for a few months now, and can't seem to decide which one to buy. I just built a new house that has a much larger yard than my old one, and I want to upgrade to a self propelled unit. I had an old Honda mower that was at least 26 years old, and that thing was bullet proof! Even after all those years, it started first or second pull, every year. I'm no mechanic, but apparently, one of the internal bits finally wore out, and it would have cost more than the mower was worth the fix, so we finally retired her (she had a good long life *sniffle*sniffle*). My wife and I decided we wanted another Honda, but we couldn't afford to buy a genuine Honda at the time, so we went for a Craftsman with a Honda motor. Good compromise yes? Yaaa NO! What a P.O.S compared to the REAL Honda we had. It looks good, but it takes at least 4 pulls to start, doesn't cut worth a s#!t and eats fuel like crazy. I have to fill the tank up every use, where the last real Honda would cut the old lawn easily 4 times before needing re fueling. Anyhow, I've had enough of it....time for a change. I now realize (foolishly) that I should have just paid the extra to get something good the first time, cause now I'm $400 bucks down already! Now that I can afford a good mower, I want the best, and I don't mind paying for it. So, to make a long story longer (?), I'm choosing between the Honda hrx2173hyc and the Toro Timemaster 30. Both have features I really like. Obviously the 30" cutting swath of the Toro is awesome (anyone who hasn't yet seen one of these badboys in person is in for a pleasant surprise). But I'm still drawn to the Honda as long as it is as reliable and quality built like my old one. I like the Nextite deck on the Honda which won't rust out vs. the steel deck of the Toro (which has an aluminum frame). Both are self propelled, but I think I prefer the Toro set up better. The hose clean out feature is a great idea too if it really works.
As you can see, I'm on the fence bigtime......If anyone has any experience with either of these units, I'd love to hear your take on things. I have 2 local small equipment dealers here in town that have both mowers in stock, I just need to choose! Thanks everyone :smile:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Read the two posts list at the bottom of this posting, or do a forum search " timemaster"
These may answer some of your questions.

shaknbake

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've read all the posts so far on the Toro, but it's such a new machine, no one really has much detail to add from their experience with it. I've not been able to find anything on the Honda though.....so far.

alpinelawn

Threads
Here is a comparison I ran on the basic stats of the two

Product%20Comparison%20HRX2173HYC%20vs.%20Timemaster.png

Charisma666

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey shaknbake

Not sure if you bought your mower already but I was doing some research and decided to go with the Honda becasuse of it's proven reliability. I looked around so I can find the best price and realized that Home Depot in the U.S. sells them for 699.99!!!! VS. 1000.00 here!!! since it is made in the U.S. I paid the taxes on it when I crossed the border. I have to be honnest I have only used it once but OMG compared to my other mower... night and day! it's a perfect even cut ... I just love it and now looking forward to cutting the grass next week!

Paulz2821

Threads
Hrx217 is an awesome mower. I've had mine for about eight years. It still looks brand new. I Take it with me every mowing day just in case. Has never failed to start on the first pull. Nothing better. My new mower is a red hawk that has 20hp Honda v twin. Starts exactly the same. The china men can build a hell of a motor. Sad the us stuff is so far behind and always will be.