Honda HRX 217 Mower Start Problem!

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Well to put a cap on this, I changed the oil and then ran the Mower.

Shut the gas and starved it out...

An hour later I went back turned the gas on and it cranked on the first pull!

Sooooo....Thanks again Bert, I can mow now and not have to worry about starting or harming my engine!

whitejww

Threads
The fuel cut off is a double edge sword for storage. I have an ancient Honda Snowblower and for many years I stored it by turning off the fuel and running it dry. Unfortunately you never get all the fuel out of the bowl. With the introduction of ethanol I began to have issues. The ethanol wicks in moist air and caused the bowl to oxidize ?. I cleaned it thoroughly, began using stable and leaving the fuel in the on position when I stored it. I haven’t had a problem since. The caveat is if if you have an issue in the carb it will fill the sump/oil with fuel.

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Well, I don't use ethanol gas in my lawn stuff, I pay a little extra for the non variety and feel it evens out by not having to work on carbs so much!

You might want to see where in your area you can get non ethanol from a pump in your area, not really that much more, that way.

DOB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Being a Honda certified mechanic, My prognosis is the choke mechanism isn't the issue, when the engine is shut down the governor is trying to wide open because it's rpms aren't related to throttle position. No one will tell you to pull throttle to idle position for about a minute before stopping. Other manufacturers inform consumers either.
If you watch governor control at shutoff it try's to wide open throttle to compensate

enigma-2

Threads
No one will tell you to pull throttle to idle position for about a minute before stopping. Other manufacturers inform consumers either.
Are you saying to pull the throttle to idle before turning off?

seagiant

Threads
Being a Honda certified mechanic, My prognosis is the choke mechanism isn't the issue, when the engine is shut down the governor is trying to wide open because it's rpms aren't related to throttle position. No one will tell you to pull throttle to idle position for about a minute before stopping. Other manufacturers inform consumers either.
If you watch governor control at shutoff it try's to wide open throttle to compensate
Hi,
Well, there is no throttle on my mower, so...

"Idle" does not really come into the picture for me???

whitejww

Threads
Hi,
Well, I don't use ethanol gas in my lawn stuff, I pay a little extra for the non variety and feel it evens out by not having to work on carbs so much!

You might want to see where in your area you can get non ethanol from a pump in your area, not really that much more, that way.
Glad you are able to source non-ethanol fuel nearby. Unfortunately, where I am the only game in town are the box stores. When I do the math, it’s about $24/gl. Given all the power equipment I own I would have to take out a second mortgage ?