Honda HRR216K9VKA dies after 15 minutes

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK
So you can get the engine to run on carb cleaner / starting fluid so that confirms it is a fuel problem
You say you have a good supply of fuel to the carb so that only leaves the carb itself
I have see cheap carbs with no hole in the main jet, cross drillings that do not line up wrong size float valve and all sorts of stuff that had them tossed into the scrap metal bin before being liberated and sold on Evilpay / Scamazon .

Born2Mow

Threads
And the secret to handling gremlins is, of course, not to look out the window.

CPZLG91l.jpg
Obviously there are not many Twilight Zone fans here. :ROFLMAO:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It has a new carb
OEM or Chinese?
I replaced the thermowax choke actuator and the mower started and ran at a very high rpm. Not sure what caused the high rpm but I mowed with it anyway. It started sputtering after 15 minutes like always and eventually died.
Did you over rev it and smoke the engine? It is 100 degrees outside in most places. Pretty tough on air cooled engines.

Scott_HRR

Threads
Did you pull the fuel screen going into the tank? Should be inside the fuel line right where it connect to the bottom of the tank. You appear to have a fuel starvation issue but the amount of time it takes to quit doesn’t usually jive with a carburetor problem because it appears to move fuel properly for a while then gets starved. I’d replace the fuel line and screen coming from the tank and if it has the plastic on-off valve down stream I’d yank that and make sure nothing is inside of the valve. It also wouldn’t hurt to replace the fuel line from the valve to the carb.

Once running spray some carb cleaner around the carb gaskets, choke shaft etc to see if the RPM changes. This would indicate an air leak which would starve the engine of fuel and cause it to shudder and quit.

Ebtate8

Threads
I have a walk behind mower model HRR216K9VKA with the Honda gcv160 engine. After about 15 minutes of use it starts to sputter and eventually dies. It has a new carb, new air filter, new spark plug and new gas. Still the same issue after all the updates. The mower is not too old and has not had a ton of use. It still looks new. Any ideas would be appreciated?
I have the exact same mower. There is a small piece behind the carburetor, called a thermo wax assembly. These are cheap pieces that go bad easily. My mower was doing the exact same thing. I replaced the carburetor, coil, gas cap, and spark plug and it still shut off after 15 minutes. Once I changed the thermo wax assembly, the problem was resolved.

Scott_HRR

Threads
Good suggestion, forgot about that one. In 10 years I’ve replaced it 3 times ahead of spring just so I don’t have issues.