Honda GXV 160 Engine Hard to Start

timc1018

Threads
I bought a new GXV 160 last year year and installed it on my old Snapper Chassis (2001ish). I am having a hard time starting, getting much worse. Plug and Filter are new. The Choke is basically the last 1/4" or so of the throttle, and does not seem to help much. Any adjustments that I can make?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
poke your nose down the carb and make sure the choke is closing ALL THE WAY.
'If not loosen the clamp and pull the cable away from the engine till it does.
Now this might mean the full speed indent on the control lever is now in the wrong position You will just nead to live with that

Bertrrr

Threads
These engines seem to flood easily , I have one and I can only choke it one time then pull without choke ,it will start then after a few pulls I've only dealt with 2 of these models and they both acted the same.

timc1018

Threads
There is a black (at least it appears to be) Phillips screw facing front of engine. Mixture? It is running rich, pulled plug and it was black.

Bertrrr

Threads
Seems to be very few carbs now with any adjustment , you can pull it and clean it as best you can and it may help , damn sure wont hurt, I bought a new one on amazon for like 11$, came with a filter / plug and other stuff , it's tuff to get them clean being so small etc. Also comes with new gaskets and may solve your problem b/c air leaks etc.