Honda GX31 Tiller - problems

Hardluck

Threads
Honda GX31 motor on a tiller (not that it matters what it is on).. The primer bulb cracked and was leaking so I replaced it....then it leaked gas from the carb. Couldn't get it to stop so I replaced the carburetor....seemed easy enough, but no start no gas to the plug so I replaced the fuel filter (in the tank and gas lines. Checked the spark it was OK. no gas to the plug so it no starts. What adjustments are there and how could I screw this up so bad.

I can't find any information on why no gas to the plug....it primes OK and no gas leak from carb as was before. I replaced the carb with a new one, new gasket, new plug, gas filter and gas lines. Help please..

It must be a carb adjustment somewhere.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Did you replace it with a Original (made for) Honda Carb, or a $12 special off amazon?

Hardluck

Threads
neither and a $23.00 ebay?

But still need help!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If it's a chinese knock off, that could be the problem, it is a 4 stroke correct? not a 2 stroke?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try loosening the filler cap.
Sounds like the vent is not working and the system is over pressuriising
I actually replace more tank caps than carbs

Hardluck

Threads
If it's a chinese knock off, that could be the problem, it is a 4 stroke correct? not a 2 stroke?
yes 4 stroke, I don't know where it was made. But probably China everything comes from China....even Covid !

Hardluck

Threads
Try loosening the filler cap.
Sounds like the vent is not working and the system is over pressurising
I actually replace more tank caps than carbs
Well tried the loose cap and still no start. It was running when I turned it off and saw the cracked primer bulb and started this mess.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The primer cap is downstream of the carb so it should not be able to contaminate the original carb .
There are some rookie mistake like hooking the return up to the feed side of the caarb so you end up sucking air from the top of the fuel tank & blowing bubbles backwards through the fuel filter.
When I find a plug bone dry the first step is to pull the carb off the studs, turn it sideways & blow air ( high volume low pressure is best ) through the carb
If it is working you should see a stream of fuel coming out the other end .
If this does not happen I rill the tank to the top of the filler neck, work out the air bubbles & try again
Works the second time = fracture in a fuel line or fuel lines hooked up backwards
No fuel = blocked check valve in carb , if the primer bulb is full .
Occasional spurt of fuel then nothing then spurt = stiff metering diaphragm no allowing the fuel valve to open.

I only get carbsfrom know suppliers of certified & warranted carbs.
Even then about 1 in 50 is bad in the box

Hardluck

Threads
Thank you for your reply. I know the fuel lines are correct, but I changed them and them the primer bulb does not fill.

I have tried to blow air threw the inlet gas fitting but no air or gas, now what? i have a rebuild kit for it but just between friends I have done much mechanic work in about 30 years (72 years old). Maybe I am to old for this. I hate to admit that.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just asking. Did you connect the line with the filter to the barb off the black plastic piece the primer bulb is on? And the return line to the curved barb from the metal body of the carb?