Honda GX160T1 air quality

xtsec

Forum Newbie
Threads
How can I evaluate, without doing lab tests, the exhaust emissions of the following engine which came together with my new tiller:
Honda GX160T1 QMP1 GCABT-4639521?

The engine seems outdated (being T1 rather than T2) and with no EPA, EU, CARB certification. Still can someone say anything about had bad its emissions are compared with the certified analogs such as GX160UT1? I could not find even its year of manufacturing online.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a tiller . pumping out 190 cc of total exhaust 160 times a minute.
On an environmental point of view it is an ants fart
While we all should do what we can to reduce air pollution worrying about your tiller is futile
Every large jet that takes off spews 200 gallons of unburned Jet A1 Kerro right out the exhaust.
Take 1 less holiday to Hawaii in your entire life and you are tons in front
While small engines do pollute they are a sparrows fart in comparrison to everything else
If every garden impliment on the planet was converted to battery power the net CO2 reduction would be in the order of 0.00000000000001%
The CO2 you libberated from the soil when tilling plus what is generated if you are doing a green manure tillage is greater then the amount generated by your engine.
It is all about being seen to be doing some thing while actually doing nothing to upset the major party sponsor .
Unless you are regisered research organization the acutual air pollution levels measured during the Covid lock downs is not available
And one big reason is the air quality at air ports was orders of magnitude better then when the airports are at full capacity which would put the lie to what the avaition industry has been trying to brainwash us with for the last decade by only calculating & publishing the CO2 levels from the aircraft exhausts while ignoring the unburned fuel and the pollution from all of the ground equipment used at airports .
Further to that Aust is on T 2 the USA & most of the EU are T 4.
The real way to save the planet is not to buy junk with short service life.
Get your old car / mower/ motorcycle / shoes repaired & keep on using them for as long as possible
But this makes no money for the shareholders of Ford / GMH / B & S / Nikie / so that bit gets ignored .

Now on top of this all of the modern engines are jetted way too lean so the bore & rings wear a lot faster
If you walk into a mower hop and check the EPA stickers, few are compliant for any longer than 3 years then after that they get progressively worse than the original non compliant engines .
SO it is smoke & mirror trick at the very best

Bertrrr

Threads
Agree with Berts mobile 1- the Green group has lots of people drinking the Koolaid regarding environmental issues - Cow Farts ? really ? Small gas engines that run 15-20 times a year for a few hrs at a time .
Now trying to ban Gas Stoves - what's next no more burping ?

xtsec

Forum Newbie
Threads
The reason I am worried about this is not the greenhouse effect but rather the possible deterioration of my own health resulting from operating a tiller with this engine. Of course, to really be on the safe side I would have to buy an electric tiller. Nevertheless I am fine with a gas tiller as long as the risks are not too high and in order to evaluate them for an uncertified engine I need to understand how it compares with the certified ones. I am not upto testing the engine myself at this point.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you just thought about how much smog is around you all the time you would be seriously ill. I remember when 911 happen and all the planes were out of the air and very autos on the road how clear the skies became. Even during the early Covid-19 phase they cleared a lot. Now they are just getting back how dirty they were.

Yes reducing the level of pollution is important to our health. Even here in my shop I keep the levels down as much as I can as I do having breathing problems. But sometimes the only way is to wear a filter mask as there is invisible vapors that must be filtered out.

Anyway I saw a real fogger the other day in town. You could the fogger but not the vehicles behind it. Of the driver was already smoking heavily too so she didn't notice or care that the vehicle smoking.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless the exhaust is blowing in your face you will be fine
I am 70 and do nearly all of my pushmowing with 2 strokes.
there are millions of mini tillers out there on the end of line trimmers where the exhaust is only a couple of inches from your face when you use them
Your tiller engine in about knee height .
The new pollution regulations were not done for the protection of the operator.
If they were it would be an OH&S certificate not an EPA certificate
DO you have respiratory problems or an allegy to petrochemicals ?
If that is the case then you can get shields & deflectors to point the exhaust outlet towards the fresh tilled ground .

As for government EPA regulations , Melbourne , where most big businesse are headquartered down there to Canberra when the National Government is has the busiest air traffic route on the entire planet and is responsible for near 10% of the total transport pollution in Australia.
There have been dozens of proposals to build a Japaneseystyle VFT rail line , even some from private consortiums that would not cost the tax payers 1 red cent (that we don't have any more ).
The government has spent billions investigating it and the Sydney Canberra VFT for the purpose of finding them both uneconomic.
IN both cases the line would have a second stop at either an existing small city or a new planned city.
This would take the housing pressure off all 3 cities and allow people to get from Melbourne to Canberra in 1 hour & Sydney to Canberra in 45 minutes
I live on the outskirts of the city and it takes me 2 hours to get to central station.
SO both colours of governments consider protecting the future profits of realestate developers more important than cleaning the environment.
In the case of the Sydney -Goulburn- Canberra line they have spent more money on consultants proving it would be uneconomic that the entire cost of building the rail line .