Honda GCV160 Model HRR2168VKA Won't stay running

caecilius

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, and to small engine repair in general. Reasonably handy in other areas. I figure since I'm locked down anyway I might as well try to fix my lawn mower myself if possible and learn something new and save money if possible.

Here's my problem: My Honda GCV160 model HRR2168VKA won't start after sitting in the garage for the winter. It is fairly new and usually starts easily on one or two pulls. It will start briefly with a small amount of fuel added directly to the carburetor, but then it dies after a second or two.

This is what I have done so far:

1) I drained the gas tank and refilled with new fuel
2) checked the air filter - it is clean and like-new
3) Inspected the spark plug - it is clean with a little carbon here and there but nothing that I think would cause a problem
2) removed and inspected the carburetor - it seems clean and free from any clogs. Fuel appears to be flowing to the carburetor.

So now I'm out of ideas. It doesn't seem to be an electrical problem since it will start with a direct fuel prime but maybe I'm missing something there, and it doesn't seem to be a clogged fuel line or filter as fuel flows freely into the carburetor. Like I said though, I'm no engine expert. Please let me know if I have missed some relatively easy things I can try to get it up and running again. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually it will be a gummed up carburettor.
Go to Carb cleaning and follow the directions for either one of the Honda carbs.
Although neither is your exact one, the cleaning process will be the same.
Generally gum builds up over winter and blocks off the main jet which you need to unscrew to clean properly.
It is also a good idea to push out the emulsion tube and check all of the little holes are clean as well.
Down here Honda fit taps eother to the carb itself or to the fuel line and it is always a good idea to turn the tap off on the last mow of the season & let the engine starve so there is no fuel left in the cab over winter.

caecilius

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I definitely didn't remove the main jet so I will give that a try this evening!

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Try tapping (lightly) on the carb bowl with something like a wooden (or plastic) handled screwdriver. Sometime the float gets stuck in the up position.

Regards

Jeff

mikebarber

Threads
remove the center brass bolt that holds on the carburetor bowl you don't need to remove the bowl itself just the 1/2" hex brass bolt (13 mm) once you have that brass bolt out look on the side of it between where the threads end and the hex starts you will find a very small hole find a piece of copper wire and pit it through the hole and then clean out the pieces of "gunk" that get dislodged compressed air would be great to clean it up with put the bolt back in and give it a try 2 pulls should tell you if you have fixed it IF FUEL IS GETTING TO THE CARB WHEN YOU REMOVE THE BRASS BOLT WHATEVER FUEL U HAVE IN THE TANK WILL LEAK ALL OVER AND IS FLAMMABLE That little hole you have cleaned out is the main jet and is a precise size for correct air fual radio DO NOT TAKE A DRILL TO IT copper wire should not harm it Gary

caecilius

Forum Newbie
Threads
Usually it will be a gummed up carburettor.
Go to Carb cleaning and follow the directions for either one of the Honda carbs.
Although neither is your exact one, the cleaning process will be the same.
Generally gum builds up over winter and blocks off the main jet which you need to unscrew to clean properly.
It is also a good idea to push out the emulsion tube and check all of the little holes are clean as well.
Down here Honda fit taps eother to the carb itself or to the fuel line and it is always a good idea to turn the tap off on the last mow of the season & let the engine starve so there is no fuel left in the cab over winter.
I cleaned the main jet and now it stays running, thanks! It is running rough, though, so maybe I need to go back and clean the rest of the carb more thoroughly

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear you got a result.
Please remember hat we are not there listening , seeing &smelling what is happening so words like rough can cover a myraid of things like my head through to a plug wire shorting on the block so the engine only fires 1 in 3 .