Repairs Honda GCV 160 with stripped out Carbirator Bolt

platefire

Threads
Repairing this Self perpelled Craftsman with a Honda Motor for a neighbor. It would run a few seconds and die. Figured it was the carburetor so I took it off and sure enough it was all corroded up. So I gave it a good cleaning and when I was putting the carb back on found the right mounting bolt would not snug up. I'm very familiar with not tightening up these bolt too tight cause I know they can easily be stripped out. So I snugged it up best I could with the bolt slipping in it's tightest position. The mower cranked up and ran but I could tell it wasn't running up to full RPM/potential. I figure it's leaking air in around that un-tight bolt.

My neighbor said it quit running at the end of season last year and he took the carb off and installed it back on but it still wouldn't run. He is not a mechanic! I figure that's when the stripping out occurred.

I haven't got any re-threading tools, so what do I need to tell him he needs to do to correct this??? Thanks, Bob

MowLife

Threads
Only way to fix it right is rethread it.

platefire

Threads
I have no experiance at re-threading stripped out female threads, so forgive the stupid questions. Would it have to be re-threaded at a larger size or could it be done the same size as it is now? The special head that fits through the air cleaner must be the same size---it seems like to me. Bob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have no experiance at re-threading stripped out female threads, so forgive the stupid questions. Would it have to be re-threaded at a larger size or could it be done the same size as it is now? The special head that fits through the air cleaner must be the same size---it seems like to me. Bob

Np the mp;e os drilled out to a larger size then an insert with an internal thread of the same size as the carby stud is screwed into the engine.
The price of the kit you will need to put a helicoil / recoil into the engine should be greater than what most workshops would charge for fitting one.
I charge $ 20 each & the kits are around $ 50 .
All of the wire inserts are made from stainless so you should pot a little nickel anti-seize on the stud when it gets replaced.

platefire

Threads
OK, Thanks. I get the idea. At least I can tell Terry there is a procedure to correct it. He will have to take it to somebody else to get it done. Bob