Honda GC160 Fuel System Repair

Threads
I'll look at that. Thanks.

To everyone:

I haven't gotten around to looking at the fuel pump, but I had a thought. I have replaced some of the fuel lines because they were dry-rotted. The new lines were a good bit longer (I can explain why, but it doesn't seem worth posting right now.) Would this cause problems? I've tried to start it enough times in a row that I would think I would have gotten fuel all the way through them if that was the problem.

It would seem whatever rotted the fuel lines might have made the diaphram in the pump go bad........ I have seen the pumps on the bigger Honda's such as the ones on a pressure washer.......

Threads
OK. So:

Problem confined to fuel system.
>Carb replaced and confirmed to work.
>Carb gaskets replaced and confirmed to work.
>Fuel lines replaced and confirmed to work.
>Fuel pump replaced and confirmed to work.
>Fuel filter not replaced, but confirmed to work.

The engine still won't start unless fuel is put into the air intake and then in only runs for a couple seconds, depend on how much fuel I give it.

WHAT'S LEFT TO FIX!?

:mad::thumbdown::frown::confused2::confused::eek::mur::confused3::smiley_aafz::shocked:

I am going to take it over to my old boss and he's going to double check my work. As of right now, he's as baffled as I am.

(Account Closed)

Threads
How was the carb and fuel pump confirmed to work if it doesn't run?

You can rule out the carb being the issue simply by running an auxiliary fuel tank, gravity feed to the carb.
If it runs, the carb IS GOOD.

At the same time, FUEL should be spewing out the fuel pump while it's running(fuel in the tank).
If it's NOT, the pump is bad (or issues further up the fuel system)..

Adding fuel to the carb throat, and it runs CONFIRMS A FUELING ISSUE...

Mkala

Threads
Yes, you mentioned all the fuel system OK but still a fuel delivery issue - so as SRTsFZ6 say you missed something...

If you have a drain on the carb, you can open it so this will drain the bowl. After all drained, pull on the rope. If fuel is coming again, all is ok up to the carb (lines, pump).
If you have no fuel in the bowl issue is before the carburetor...

Threads
So. The tiller is running. I took it to my boss and he showed me where I had connected a hose wrong.

For anyone who's interested, in the process I replaced the carb, the fuel pump, and the recoil assembly. (All needed repairs, anyway.)

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Mkala

Threads
Thanks for the feedback, happy its running fine now :cool:

Threads
So, I've put maybe 6 hrs on the tiller since getting it running, and it's run fine... Until July. When it suddenly wouldn't start. I didn't have time to look at it, so I haven't messed with it since.

As mentioned previously, I've replaced the carb, the lines, and the fuel pump (Carb and pump were Chinese knockoffs. I know, I know. Probably not wise.) My lines are all still in place. The fuel filter (16910-ZV4-015, 16915-ZV4-000) was not replaced, so I'm going to go ahead and do that now.

Any thoughts on what it might be if not the fuel filter?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There should be a bowl drain plug on the carb. Pull the rope start about 20 times then remove the bowl drain plug and see if the fuel drains fron the float bowl. If it does not check vacum pulse hose. If pulse hose is good probably bad pump or bad fuel line or filter. If the float bowl was full of fuel you have a carb problem. If the new carb has a shutoff valve be sure it is open.

Threads
There should be a bowl drain plug on the carb. Pull the rope start about 20 times then remove the bowl drain plug and see if the fuel drains fron the float bowl. If it does not check vacum pulse hose. If pulse hose is good probably bad pump or bad fuel line or filter. If the float bowl was full of fuel you have a carb problem. If the new carb has a shutoff valve be sure it is open.
OK. Thanks!