Honda GC160 Fuel System Repair

Threads
Hi. I'm working on repairing an MTD Yard Machine 21A-395A129 (front-tined tiller) with a Honda GC160 engine. This is my winter project and, since I'm in SC, I need to be gearing up for business in February and getting out there in March. I wanted to have the tiller ready to use for my vegetable garden as well. I've put fuel in the air intake and the tiller will start and then sputter out. Putting different amounts of fuel in the intake did affect how long the tiller ran. I've replaced the carb and confirmed that the fuel filter and lines work fine. I'm going to try replacing the fuel pump. If that doesn't work, what's left to try? I'm fairly confident that the problem is in the fuel system.

Some extra info: I've done landscape maintenance for another guy and am trying to start my own business. Being a small business with very little income, (I started in September. Not the best time to do that, even in SC.), I'm trying to do as much repair on my equipment as I can, but I have virtually no experience.

Also, I included the model number on the tiller because I have noticed that GC160s at least are assembled slightly differently depending on the machine they are on.

2019-01-07 09.19.32.jpg2019-01-07 09.18.41.jpg2019-01-07 09.18.31.jpg

-Ian T. Bristol (Owner)
Carolina Cuttin' Company

Mkala

Threads
Hi,

You can test if the pump is working, simply when you pull start if fuel is coming out of or not. Do you have a pic a fuel pump ?
Most of the time they don't give that much pressure, but if they are able to pump fuel on a hose higher than the engine it's fine.

Threads
I have never seen a fuel pump on a 160 Honda for a tiller or mower......

First time for everything I guess.............

Plus Tard

Mkala

Threads
Yes lol ! obviously it's a good point :laughing:

Carolina Cuttin' Company, you should post pic on what you are doing, so we understand better (if you are still there...)

Threads

I'll look at that. Thanks.

To everyone:

I haven't gotten around to looking at the fuel pump, but I had a thought. I have replaced some of the fuel lines because they were dry-rotted. The new lines were a good bit longer (I can explain why, but it doesn't seem worth posting right now.) Would this cause problems? I've tried to start it enough times in a row that I would think I would have gotten fuel all the way through them if that was the problem.