Honda G300 ignition coil - HELP!!

ernieh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi - have an old G300 engine (maybe late 70's early 80's). No spark, checked coil / condenser unit and it looks faulty so need to get a replacement. Easy I thought but no. Lots on ebay for G300 but when I checked all looked the same BUT some had the main HT lead plus 1 wire or 3 wires. Mine has a the main HT lead plus 2 wires. one is a spade connector which goes from the condenser to the points the other is a straight push connector which goes to the on / off switch. All of the coils on ebay are quoting the same part number. So I contacted Honda directly who put me onto a main dealer. Not got any further other than being told that their are several different coils for the G300 series depending on the type - sadly there is no type visible on my engine.

I know the unit with the HT lead and 1 wire is not good as even if it works I will not be able to turn it off or on as there is nothing going to the on / off switch. The units with HT lead and 3 wires might be ok as it looks like one of the wires comes from the condenser which I can connect to the points and one of the other wires has a push connector which I assume will go to the switch. But what is the 3rd wire (spade connector like the one from the condenser) ?? Is it not needed on my unit ??

I can send photos if it helps

Anyone out there with experience of these engines and coils ???

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The should be some numbers letters stamped into the side of the block usually about half way up on a flat milled area . May have to do some serious cleaning to read them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the coil has only 1 wire it will usually have a timing chip embedded into the coil which replaces the points so no need for a points wire .
Usually these are a direct replacement for the points coils but you need to check with the supplier.
In 1962 Atom Industries invented the Hall effect trigger for fixed timed small engines .
Some manufacturers took this up very quickly & upgraded the coils , some waited 30 years to avoid paying royalties .
If it has 3 wires then it goes on an engine with low oil cut out , 1 for the points, 1 for the ignition 1 for the cut off .

ernieh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All - thanks for the input. Had a call from Honda service earlier today - they confirmed they had 8 different part numbers for coils for the G300 all with 1 or 3 wires plus the HT lead. They did say the unit with the three wires should be ok but couldnt tell me what the 3rd wire was for !!!
However Bertsmobile1 has the answer - the 3rd wire is for the low oil cut off which I dont have on my model so looks like the 3 wire is the way to go !!

Thanks everyone !