Hit a stump and it quit

Homeboy47

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Bad Boy, 27 horse, 60 inch ZT with a Kohler motor. Yesterday I hit a low stump or root. The blade buried itself in the wood, the motor stalled immediately, and now it won't start. I get a strong click from the starter both while engaging and turning it off. Anyone have advice that could take care of the problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So start with the basics
try to turn the engine with the palm of your hand on the debris screen
If you can not turn it 2 full revolutions remove the spark plugs and try again.
If it only turns part of a revolution and stops, try it in both directions
If it stops hard in both directions then it is time to pull the flywheel and check for a loose or broken magnet .

If it turns over but is harder than it should be even with the plugs out remove the rocker covers and check the pushrods are still in contact with the rockers
Very common for them to fall off with a very sudden engine stop .
Continuing to try cranking the engine can do more damage

Get back with what you find & we can take your further .

Homeboy47

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the come back. I'm on my way to the shop now.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you remember to push down the PTO button before attempting to start. Sounds like the deck is still engaged, and it won't crank with the deck engaged.
Good answer!

Mower King

Threads
WOW!! Do I have a red face or what?? Seems while I was in that emotional mess I totally neglected to disengage the deck. The machine started and no damage was done. Anyhow I want to thank those of you that bothered to help me out. Next time I'll be more thorough before posting.
It happens, don't be embarrassed about it. I've had people load up big mowers, bring them to our shop because they wouldn't start, struggle to push them off the trailer.....and the mower was only out of gas!

Homeboy47

Forum Newbie
Threads
It happens, don't be embarrassed about it. I've had people load up big mowers, bring them to our shop because they wouldn't start, struggle to push them off the trailer.....and the mower was only out of gas!
Now that makes me feel soooo much better, lol.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Been there and done that multiple times. Any tech who says they haven’t is lying to you. I always say to people who’ve done this, “ cheaper to ask a dumb question than fix a stupid mistake”.