High End Residential Mower

Magsrgod

Threads
My other thread was starting shift direction so I figured I would start a new one to discuss this.

So I went dealer shopping over the weekend. I went to a few local dealers where the sales guy just didn't do it for me, one was pushing me towards a JD x350 rider that I wasn't really interested in but they had it in stock. The last place I went to was killer, the guy was 100% no pressure just took the time to get to know what I had for a lawn, what I needed then finally what I wanted. He had 2 mowers the fit the bill size wise one was a Scag Liberty Z and the other was one of the 48" Kubota commander series. Now both of these are a little more than what I was looking at paying but still not out of the question, especially since both had a 0% option so the out of pocket capital hit won't be as bad. I believe it was going to be around Mid 5K's with a bagging system for either one.

Any thoughts on these mowers, should I be looking at one of these over the other? I'm fine with getting a mower that is higher quality if its going to last me substantially longer and I can't stress how much I really enjoyed the dealership experience there.

zmister11

Threads
My other thread was starting shift direction so I figured I would start a new one to discuss this.

So I went dealer shopping over the weekend. I went to a few local dealers where the sales guy just didn't do it for me, one was pushing me towards a JD x350 rider that I wasn't really interested in but they had it in stock. The last place I went to was killer, the guy was 100% no pressure just took the time to get to know what I had for a lawn, what I needed then finally what I wanted. He had 2 mowers the fit the bill size wise one was a Scag Liberty Z and the other was one of the 48" Kubota commander series. Now both of these are a little more than what I was looking at paying but still not out of the question, especially since both had a 0% option so the out of pocket capital hit won't be as bad. I believe it was going to be around Mid 5K's with a bagging system for either one.

Any thoughts on these mowers, should I be looking at one of these over the other? I'm fine with getting a mower that is higher quality if its going to last me substantially longer and I can't stress how much I really enjoyed the dealership experience there.

I know quite a few people that love the scag liberty's.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Both excellent mowers & I would be proud to have either in my shed.

From what I have seen in my workshop I really like the Kubotas.
A mower designed to do the job for a long time, not designed to fit a price bracket like 75% of everything else I put a spannar on.
Down side for me is only OEM parts parts available from OEM agents who are quite hostile towards persons such as myself.

I service a few T series and all owners would part with their wives before their mowers

Homer1

Threads
Well, first of all, I am biased, because I chose the Scag Freedom Z. It was also more mower than I needed, but the dealer had an older model in stock and gave me too good of a deal not to pass up. I came here like you for advice, and ended up choosing that one.

That being said, I know several folks with the Liberty mower, and after at least a year of ownership there, they have no complaints. In fact, another co-worker just bought one last week.

Scag really hits a mark with me, because all of their components are made in the US, with the exception perhaps of the engine or tires. They may be as well, I'm not for sure.

The Liberty comes with a nice Kohler engine, and the 2800 series transaxle, which should last nearly forever with residential mowing. The back bumper on the thing is sick, lets face it. They also come with a 5 year, 5 year warranty, or 750 hours. I have used mine for 2 years on 1 acre and just turned over 13 hours. 2 more mows and I can do the first service, hah.

The deck does well in wet and dry conditions, and with or without the flap on, it throws grass well. I left mine off for a while because it was so large, but I ended up putting it back after I covered myself in grass too much. It does make a difference.

The only issues I have had in fact were my seat safety switch connection. Every once in a blue moon it won't start, and I simply un-clip the plug and plug it back in, then fire it up. They filled the plugs with the anti corrosion grease, so I think that inhibits connection if conditions are just right.

I also noticed that Scag's accessories, like the bagger or mulch kit, is probably some of the highest in the industry, so if you had your heart set on a bagger or otherwise, might wanna do the math.

Now, as for the Kubota, heck of a machine. I haven't done my research on them, but I have some commercial friends who mow with them, and they love them. They seem to hold up well, and meet the demand. It appears to have an upgraded transmission compared to the Liberty, but thats the 48" Komander I'm viewing. Headlights and suspension seat come standard too. Color wise, your on par either way with the orange, but it's going to come down the specific models and a comparison to make the decision.

Either way, I don't think you will go wrong. Here's wishing you 10% off either way. Maybe you will be the 1000th customer, etc..

Magsrgod

Threads
Thanks for the feedback guys. I like both and they both land around the same price point. Scag was 4300 + 1400 for the bagger, Kubota was 4980 + 760 for the bagger and I guess there is a fist full of fee's on Kubota's if you finance with them. Although the dealer was awesome to deal with they didn't seem to keen on wheeling and dealing, nothing a little friendly dealer competition wont fix. I'm honestly 50/50 on ether one, if I could get a leaps and bounds better deal on one I would take that. The Kubota is nice because its got the 3100's, they said I could pull a small garden trailer with it if I wanted.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get the kids to look up both dealers on FarceBook and see what the impatient uneducated technically incompetant youth or bored housewives think of the dealers.

Magsrgod

Threads
The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, they're a full blown tractor store with big equipment that's been around for about 60 years.

Going to drive up to another dealer this weekend and take a look at the Cub Cadet Z-Force series zero turns, also another dealer a little further away that has Toro / Snapper.

Magsrgod

Threads
I also ran across the 42" Kubota at a dealer and I think I'm going to go with that. After doing some measuring on the Scag / Kubota 48" mowers with a bagging kit I would need to take it on and off before putting it in my shed. Shed has 60" double doors and these are all over 60" with the bagger on it, it's not the end of the world but might get annoying if I'm bagging a lot. My goal it to discharge as much as possible but I know there will be times when the bagger is needed.

The 42" looks to come with 2200 hydros which are different from the others ones I was looking at, are those still good quality hydro's?

zmister11

Threads
I also ran across the 42" Kubota at a dealer and I think I'm going to go with that. After doing some measuring on the Scag / Kubota 48" mowers with a bagging kit I would need to take it on and off before putting it in my shed. Shed has 60" double doors and these are all over 60" with the bagger on it, it's not the end of the world but might get annoying if I'm bagging a lot. My goal it to discharge as much as possible but I know there will be times when the bagger is needed.

The 42" looks to come with 2200 hydros which are different from the others ones I was looking at, are those still good quality hydro's?

I discharge year round. But I geuss it depends on how often u mow.

Magsrgod

Threads
I discharge year round. But I geuss it depends on how often u mow.

I'm hit or miss, I'll have times where I'm home for weeks on end then I'll be on the road for 2-3 weeks. I actually dont intend to use the bagger much but I do need it for when I have been negligent.

Ideally I'd like to get a mulching kit with the mower and just mulch everything, then I can just remove the baffles and add the bagger if its needed.