Hi from Southern Tennessee

aelf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just joined. I have an old Murray lawn tractor. Runs great but have problems with small engine repair shops that can't seem to get the job:mad: done when it comes to tune ups and belt replacement. I guess the best way is to do it myself.:thumbsup: I wonder if anyone has a good way of getting under the mower or possibly tilting it up to get to the belts?

Any thoughts will be appreciated,
thanks
Aelf...

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Aelf, Good to have you with us at LMF...
Blocks ramps lifts or hoists, there have been lots of lift methods gone over... what ever method you use it is not going to be perfect, but fortunately you do not have to get under it often. U use my big tractor and pallet forks to lift things up to the point I can see what is going on under them without having to lay on the ground...
I'm old enough that once I lay down .. the first thing that comes to mind is a nap... especially if the warm sun is shining...
Good luck with your Murray, AND you will be very satisfied with the work done on it, if it's done by YOU.
There is not much more rewarding than doing any job yourself... :smile:KennyV

aelf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi KennyV, thanks for the tips. :smile: I know what you mean about laying down. The worst part is trying to get back up! :laughing: I'm thinking about just draining all fluids and flipping the thing up on its side. Might work. Of course, if I had a tractor and front loader, pallet tines would be the best...

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello Aelf :smile: WELCOME to LMF!!

Your in the right place to learn to do your own repairs. There's nothing like knowing exactly what's been done to your equipment. You should post your question in the Small Engine & Mower Repair forum.

Happy Posting!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Aelf, Good to have you with us at LMF...
Blocks ramps lifts or hoists, there have been lots of lift methods gone over... what ever method you use it is not going to be perfect, but fortunately you do not have to get under it often. U use my big tractor and pallet forks to lift things up to the point I can see what is going on under them without having to lay on the ground...
I'm old enough that once I lay down .. the first thing that comes to mind is a nap... especially if the warm sun is shining...
Good luck with your Murray, AND you will be very satisfied with the work done on it, if it's done by YOU.
There is not much more rewarding than doing any job yourself... :smile:KennyV

Kenny, I used to drive forklifts...and know what you refer to as the pallet forks on a tractor...hope you use jack stands or something as a safety stop underneath the forks while raised, when you get underneath. I use my JD FEL to hoist things like my mower deck, so I can sharpen the blades, but never, ever get underneath anything raised, bucket, deck or whatever. NEVER. :eek::eek:

Yes, the odds against a hydraulic hose bursting are slim, perhaps more remote than a severe earthquake in Japan, but it only has to happen ONCE.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads

Yes, the odds against a hydraulic hose bursting are slim, perhaps more remote than a severe earthquake in Japan, but it only has to happen ONCE.

That's a very good point. If you build a work-stand for your mower do it right so it can't possibly fall -- even if you're putting a lot of torque on a bolt or something like that.

Are you from East Tennessee, aelf? If so we're almost neighbors.:smile:

aelf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hiya Two Stroke! I'm in south-central TN. 'Bout 30 miles north of Florence AL in Waynesboro. Hmm. work stand. I hadn't thought about that but I think that a work stand and a couple of loading ramps, $89.00 for the pair at Walmart, might just do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion.:thumbsup: Four concrete piers and some 4 x 4's would probably do the trick. I'll build it and post the results. I work all night, 11pm to 8 am so it may take a little while to get the job done but I'll try it and let everyone know the outcome....

Aelf

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...hope you use jack stands or something as a safety stop underneath the forks while raised, when you get underneath.

Not jack stands... My little Kubota will put a mower about 10 feet up... don't have jack stands that long...
actually thats a bit higher than I need ... around 7 foot is just right.. and a heavy angle iron, on the cylinder rod will block it from seeping down while working under it...or just a 4x4 post under a boom arm...... :smile:KennyV