Engine Help with OIL Leaker

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The full oil level is usually the same height as the bottom sump, which can be verified by the dipstick, so you may have just got things overfull. Did you tighten the dipstick when checking the oil, or just tap it in until it bottomed out, then checked?

torooilleaker

Threads
I wiped it with a rag and just deeped it. Once the level started showing on the stick, that's when I stopped. Nothing dumped out. Then I tightened the deep stick and ran the mower. After that is when I started noticing oil on the deck.

So, assuming I overfilled it, why was the oil coming out from these bottom areas in the pic? Also, I am sure that there are some oils in it, does it support the theory that the flange is cracked because there were some oil in it. You understand what i am saying?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dry it, start it, get something to read and watch as the engine comes up to temp. Keep looking all 'round. You should be able to see the leak develop. Could take 20 min +

torooilleaker

Threads
omg. You guys are very helpful. I am going to spray it with degreaser, wash it down, dry it out, and then start it and let the leak show up. I will also post more pics of the result.

8/29/14. Here is the result of my experiment from yesterday. So, I had a very small amount of degreaser left at home. So, I sprayed it on it and washed it down with power washer, dried it and left it to dry outside. That was about 7:06 pm yesterday.

Result: 13hrs later, this morning that is, there was no oil leak whatsoever. How can that be explained?

Now, my next plan is to actually run the machine, say, 20 minutes to see what happens. If while the engine is getting hot and I start seeing oil leak, how could that be explained too? Remember, for two days in a row now, I have seen puddles of oil without running it, except the time after I added oil and started, then, noticed oil leak for the first time and for couple of days continuously after that.

Last edited: