Help with engine swap please

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Gotch ya.
So it is the 2 week old , thus longer & thicker grass that is overwhelming the deck capacity & bogging down the engine forcing you to mow slowly
And at 90 mows a week I can see why you don't have the time to mow slow .
A PIA but it might be worth trying low lifts on these yards
I gather you regularly swap the blunt blades for sharp ones.
A battery impact should allow a quick change in a couple of minutes .
If it is the volume of grass overwhelming the capacity of the deck then all a bigger engine will do is break belts
The landlord got a Kubota F2440D with a 28Hp 3 cylinder diesel donk, but it does not cut the 2' tall tussock grass any faster than the Cub Cadet 2248 did ground speed wise.
However at 72" it does cut the mowing time in 1/2
The Kubota could cut faster, but it just can't discharge the clippings
We are toying with dropping the blades a bit to see if we can increase the volume of the deck.

Morris mowing

Threads
I see. I do carry a cordless 1/2 dewalt impact with me and change blades at least 3 times a week. I've thought about getting longer spindle/blade bolts and placing washers to lower the blades as well. I just thought the extra hp would help some. They offered a 27 on that same unit. I bought it off an individual. I've got the engine tore down. Any simple upgrades I could do the internals?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I see. I do carry a cordless 1/2 dewalt impact with me and change blades at least 3 times a week. I've thought about getting longer spindle/blade bolts and placing washers to lower the blades as well. I just thought the extra hp would help some. They offered a 27 on that same unit. I bought it off an individual. I've got the engine tore down. Any simple upgrades I could do the internals?
i would also contact Briggs and Kawasaki along with those crank shaft specs ( 1 1/8" D x 4 3/8 L) and see if they have any compatible models cheaper.
Does the mower have an electric PTO clutch?

Morris mowing

Threads
i would also contact Briggs and Kawasaki along with those crank shaft specs ( 1 1/8" D x 4 3/8 L) and see if they have any compatible models cheaper.
Does the mower have an electric PTO clutch?
Yes it does.
Muffler issues are what I'm going to run into with Kawasaki and vanguard

Morris mowing

Threads
Here's the ole girl. Love the mower in ideal cutting situations just wish there was a simple solution for the high grass. It clumps pretty bad if the grass is the least bit wet as well

Attachments

• IMG_20200508_071607_303.jpg
    IMG_20200508_071607_303.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 8

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hells bells it does really well on that slope.
You could try enlarging the discharge hole in the deck.
Being fabricated if it don't work you can always weld it back up again .
problem comes with the new "universal decks "
Very few mowers now offer dedicated mowing , throwing & mulching decks.\
Down here I think only Walker has all 3 types of decks and then they are not available in all sizes.
Dropping the blades should work .
Get a big stack of washers then try one at a time till it starts blowing clippings out the side on your home lawn then see how it goes on the job.
Fabricated decks have troubles with airflow patterns under the deck because you can't get the funnel effect same as you can on a pressed deck .

And nice job on that lawn.
Not a fan of striping but I can recognise a good job just the same.

Morris mowing

Threads
Thank you very much for your advice. hope you have a blessed day.

4950cycle

Threads
I myself caught what you meant right off, I like a mower powerful enough to mow a 2 to 2 1/2 week ( taller grass) yard also. I don't run a Golf coarse where I have to keep it neatly manicured .

Last edited: