HELP !!!!! This snapper ZT is driving to the looney bin.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / HELP !!!!! This snapper ZT is driving to the looney bin.
I seem to spend more time looking for the parts diagrams for this mower and working on it.
These 0-turns were terrible mowers. Get an older Snapper rear engine rider if you want a reliable mower.

I'll put mine up against a Kubota any day. Mine has a real bagger system that will suck spare change off your garage floor. Mulches like no other and side slings like a champ. Also if you need to (every 15 years), the entire mower can be positioned vertically. Great for blade swapping and cleaning the deck. Rubber drive ring costs like 8 bucks to replace. Try that with your 0-turn hydros LOL. Fluid alone is way more than that.

slomo

Mutt

Threads
Has any one ever removed the double pulley from the spindle on this model? I removed the blade. To my amazement, the blade is only held on the spindle with one long bolt and nut, no key, no teeth, etc.so I need to remove the 6 spindle housing bolts /nuts and the spindle and pulley will come off the deck as a unit. How do I remove the pulley? It doesnt appear to be keyed on

Mutt

Threads
It looks like a long bolt goes all the way through the spindle and pulley and is all held together with a nut on top of the pulley. See Page 47. Page 58 shows the spindle assemblies breakdown.
https://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=ahnmzJvLlSZk
Thanks a MILLION. That's what I need. On page 48 part #17 suspension bushing. Should be 8 of there. There are zero on here right now. Page 58 shows the spindle with 2 pulleys. I pulled the bolt,blade spacers, but still cant figure out what is holding the 2 pulleys to the rest of the spindle

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Whoa...Wait a minute or so. Let me ask this what is the reason you need to remove the spindle housing? I just did a month the drill out and retap on Toro six bolt spindle where all six broken off during removal and I had to 18 holes on 3 spindles that only need the bearing replaced.

Mutt

Threads
Whoa...Wait a minute or so. Let me ask this what is the reason you need to remove the spindle housing? I just did a month the drill out and retap on Toro six bolt spindle where all six broken off during removal and I had to 18 holes on 3 spindles that only need the bearing replaced.
the bearings in the drive spindle, especially the bearing on the blade end, is shot. I have one of the 6 nuts off. I'll be extra careful removing the nuts. That spindle is anywhere from $200 to $325 plus shipping,How does the 2 pulleys come off the top of the spindle?

Mutt

Threads
Ok, so a bunch of old hard grease was holding the 2 pulleys on. Got both off, now to rebuild the spindle.........

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Part #9 is the spindle shaft. There are splines on part #9. The pulleys should have matching splines. The big nut has to come off of the long blade bolt. Those pulleys have probably never been off. You are going to need a puller and a good soaking of liquid wrench to pull those pulleys.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, so a bunch of old hard grease was holding the 2 pulleys on. Got both off, now to rebuild the spindle.........
Yay!

Mutt

Threads
Ok, so instead of ordering the suspension bushings, I'm just machining them myself. Got the first 2 of the 8 machined and installed and back on the deck. no more slop now. Also the 4 bushings on the 2 idler pulleys are also sloppy, so I'll machine 4 of them also and eliminate the ridiculous amount of slop in them.