Help.Stuck pulley

Nod

Threads
I have a Ferris IS1500Z. The bearings went out on my left spindle and I cant get the pulley to come off, its rusted good. It has been sitting with penetrating oil, I have beat, pried, and repeated many times. Anyone have some suggestions I would appreciate the help, thanksResized_20240713_131441.jpeg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First remove the grease zerk (fitting). Then there is two possible ways. One is to the nut back on with a little clearance between it and pulley then using a heavy brass hammer strike the nut driving the spindle shaft out. The other option is to use a harmonic balancer puller with the bolts in the three pulley holes. (may need to tap the holes)

May still be a tough pull or push through due to rust. And you may need to heat the pulley with a ACE/OX torch. Just depend how it is bonded to the shaft.

BTW the bearings are 6305 bearings

Nod

Threads
The spindle housing is bolted to the mower deck, not enough room to remove the bolts. The pulley will have to come up, I will try some heat on it today. Thanks for the bearing size.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not necessarily. You can actually drive the spindle shaft out as the pulley key would stay with pulley. There is nothing preventing the spindle being driven out other than the stuck pulley, the square key, rust, and may be a stuck spacer. Just can't being using that steel sledge hammer you been trying. Got to use a brass hammer as gives before the steel shaft does but the nut still needs to be on the shaft to prevent thread damage. And as I mention you got to remove the zerk.
1720964428701.png

Nod

Threads
Thanks, sometimes my brain doesn't work right!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it was in my shop
1) remove Blade
2) Find some heavy tube slightly larger then the outside diameter of the spindle and slide it over it
Pack under the tube so so the whole weight of the deck is being supported by the tube
3) Double nut the spindle & remove the grease nipple
4) 2 options ,
a) put an impact socket over the nut and belt the crap out of it ,or as I do use an air hammer / air chisel in place of large hammer putting all my weight on the tool
b) Screw an Allen bolt into the grease nipple hole ( might need to be packed out with washers ) and do as above hitting the allen bolt
5) lots of heat

Reactions: Nod

Nod

Threads
I have the deck unhooked from the mower and I will jack the mower up and pull the deck out where I can get to everything. Thanks for the help.

RayMcD

Threads
Kroll, best penetrating oil on the planet, lube it up and give it time to work, then figure out how to knock it out without buggering it up.. Good Luck Sir

Reactions: Nod

Nod

Threads
I got the deck out. The bolt holding the blade with the bad spindle is stuck, I got my ace/ox torch out and heated it up, it will not budge! I am using an 18volt impact on the highest setting. The other 2 blades came off without any problem. Didn't have to use any heat. This is very frustrating, I can hear the grass growing.

I am heating the area above the blade where the wrench fits, is this the correct place to heat? Thanks for all the help.

I went and borrowed a snap-on torque wrench it is rated for 600 to 700 foot pounds mine was only 385, heated it up and it came off.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like you have a reasonable shop
Chop the head off the bolt
They self tighten in use
Usually I can undo the bolt with my feeble finger once the head is off
IF your mower has cupped washers under the bolt replace them