Help me pick a new snow blower !!!!

rclark

Threads
been looking at them.like the cub model 524 SWE.called the cub dealer here, wants me to order from a picture.like the idea of the EZE stear. going to look at sears. please let me now your thoughts .
got some more brands to look at. thanks, Rod

Threads
been looking at them.like the cub model 524 SWE.called the cub dealer here, wants me to order from a picture.like the idea of the EZE stear. going to look at sears. please let me now your thoughts .
got some more brands to look at. thanks, Rod

The Cub Cadet would be a good one to get, and Craftsman is good, also. These are some things to look for when buying a snowblower:
  • Easy rotation of chute
    --You want a snowblower that has something to turn the shoot from the handlebar area (and does it quickly), not reaching down a spinning and spinning the lever. (I think the Cub Cadet you are looking at has that.)
  • Turn on a dime
    --Look for one that you can "pivot" to turn, instead of having to turn it all by yourself.
  • Width
    --Depending on the size of your driveway, find a snowblower with an appropriate width. We have a driveway that can fit four cars.....we have a 24 in. That is probably the smallest you want.
  • Electric start
    --If it is super cold out, electric-start is a life saver!! (I see the Cub Cadet has that.)

I hope this helps!:smile:
-lmf

D2hornets58

Threads
The Cub Cadet would be a good one to get, and Craftsman is good, also. These are some things to look for when buying a snowblower:
  • Easy rotation of chute
    --You want a snowblower that has something to turn the shoot from the handlebar area (and does it quickly), not reaching down a spinning and spinning the lever. (I think the Cub Cadet you are looking at has that.)
  • Turn on a dime
    --Look for one that you can "pivot" to turn, instead of having to turn it all by yourself.
  • Width
    --Depending on the size of your driveway, find a snowblower with an appropriate width. We have a driveway that can fit four cars.....we have a 24 in. That is probably the smallest you want.
  • Electric start
    --If it is super cold out, electric-start is a life saver!! (I see the Cub Cadet has that.)

I hope this helps!:smile:
-lmf

I would try to find one with electric start if possible. My snowblower has a pull start and electric start and the electric start is much easier to start it in the cold. Once the blower is warmed up it starts easilly with the pull start but the electric start is a nice feature.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would look for a unit which has hand operated turning clutches, not one with an easy turn differential. If you do a lot of blowing, the new hand warmers work well.

Parkmower

Threads
I always liked toro snowthrowers. I prefer 2 stage.

rclark

Threads
it will have electric start for sure. think the 24" or 26" will suite me fine.drive is 75yrds long.first 20' is concrete rest is gravel.sure like the idea of the eze steer.my old one is a pain to turn around.thanks for all your thoughts guys.just have to make my mind up on with one to get. thanks, Rod

'

Willyvon

Threads
Last year, 2 years after I was gifted a Toro Power Shovel, I finally bought an actual snow-blower. I went with the Toro 1800 electric. I love how it moves snow but HATE the cord. I've been trying to convince various makers of battery electric mowers to transfer that technology to small ~ 18" snow-blowers. No luck so far. My latest attempt is with Black & Decker. They make a CM1936 battery electric mower that has a user removable 36 VDC battery pack that is interchangeable with their new battery electric front tine tiller. It's an obvious 3rd device product line extension. Also, anyone with 2 of the 3 devices thereby has 2 battery packs for use with either, the effective equivalent of a can of gas for gas powered versions of the devices! If you want battery electric today so you never have to deal with gas or oil or the high maintenance of internal combustion drive systems for the function again, there's the Ariens Amp for ~ $1400-$1800 depending on where you buy it. AMP 24 SNO-THRO - Premium Brand Electric Snow Blower The only issue might be the storage / charging environment for the batteries. It may need to be a heated space for decent battery performance. That's exactly why i'm trying to get a user removable battery version introduced to the market.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Working on an Ariens right now. One year, batteries won't hold a charge. Customer says he has followed all instructions. Batteries cost $310 and they are back ordered. Has me thinking that there is a problem here???

Threads
Last year, 2 years after I was gifted a Toro Power Shovel, I finally bought an actual snow-blower. I went with the Toro 1800 electric. I love how it moves snow but HATE the cord. I've been trying to convince various makers of battery electric mowers to transfer that technology to small ~ 18" snow-blowers. No luck so far. My latest attempt is with Black & Decker. They make a CM1936 battery electric mower that has a user removable 36 VDC battery pack that is interchangeable with their new battery electric front tine tiller. It's an obvious 3rd device product line extension. Also, anyone with 2 of the 3 devices thereby has 2 battery packs for use with either, the effective equivalent of a can of gas for gas powered versions of the devices! If you want battery electric today so you never have to deal with gas or oil or the high maintenance of internal combustion drive systems for the function again, there's the Ariens Amp for ~ $1400-$1800 depending on where you buy it. AMP 24 SNO-THRO - Premium Brand Electric Snow Blower The only issue might be the storage / charging environment for the batteries. It may need to be a heated space for decent battery performance. That's exactly why i'm trying to get a user removable battery version introduced to the market.

Your idea is a very good one! :thumbsup: Hopefully you can work something out with a company because it would be very beneficial to people.

jross

Threads
Working on an Ariens right now. One year, batteries won't hold a charge. Customer says he has followed all instructions. Batteries cost $310 and they are back ordered. Has me thinking that there is a problem here???

Are you sure it is the batteries and not the charger? Many people break the DC connection first
then the AC. Breaking the DC first even if it is only 13 volts has smoked a lot of chargers. Always unplug the AC first and plug it in last.