Export thread

Help identifying a part please

L

Lyd

Hello everyone, I was mowing along and these parts dropped onto the lawn. I have removed the spindle assembly and know I need to order a new housing assembly and a new mandrel pulley. I looked at the clutch and it seems to be solid and in place. Here is my question please. What is this rusty brown pulley looking thing in the picture? The only thing in the parts schematic that looks remotely like anything identifiable is called the "engine pulley" but that seems to be situated above the clutch. Can anyone give me any thoughts as to what this mystery part is and where it belongs? Thanks a million. BTW this is a Husqvarna EZ4824 and it is 12 years old with 173 hours on it.

Attachments

H

hlw49

It is some kind of pulley but you can tell there has been no belt running on it. Since the pulley is rusty where the belt would run.

L

Lyd

You are so right, I failed to notice. Here is a better picture of it and one of the interior. Hmmm. Maybe I can just keep it out of the mix? It looks like it is related to the spindle somehow.

Attachments

sgkent

sgkent

look at the parts diagram of the belts and how they run on your mower, then see what pulley it is.

L

Lyd

I have been poring over the schematics to no avail. This mystery part does not seem to be part of the deck.
The only thing that looks remotely like it is something called an "engine pulley" on the engine plate diagram #12.
I have included below the schem for the engine plate and the one from the deck. Thank you so much for your help.

Attachments

sgkent

sgkent

so what quit working when it came off

L

Lyd

I mowed about 8 feet. Then it sounded funny. It stopped mowing. I turned around and I saw the blade assembly laying on the lawn. Upon closer inspection, the nut was very near by it. Then I found this pulley thing on top of the deck.

Now I am second guessing myself. I found 2 pulleys. I know the smaller one was on the deck, this mystery one could have been found on the lawn.

sgkent

sgkent

Yes, do take it and the parts to your mower shop. They can fix it.

Attachments

B

bertsmobile1

It is a PTO (engine) pulley off something
The hole in the side of the boss for the grub screw is a give away that it is not off your mower
Most likely off a walk behind like a snow blower or roto tiller or even concrete mixer
As previously mentioned way too rusty to have had a belt on it for quite some time
So look in your shed for something else that is missing it's drive pulley
How did it get on top of your deck ?
You got kids ?

L

Lyd

Thank you, sgkent, but that is not an option.

sgkent

sgkent

You have someone who likes to play tricks on you? The rusty pulley looks like a horizontal power pulley on something. The other pulley is likely the one that ended up on top of the deck when the shaft nylock nut came loose. There are other parts likely still missing.

L

Lyd

Thank you, Bertsmobile! I am taking your post and running with it! No, no kids. A person has to be an adult to have kids and I have no desire to ever grow up.

The only other piece of machinery running amok over there was a JD Gator. Oh boy..... I better go look at her! That mower originally came with a big, huge elaborate bagging system. Are those baggers powered by something or is it just it's own wind power that makes them work?

As I am thinking, I was mowing a slim strip next to a hayfield when this happened. I just might have found this mystery piece there and it could have been sitting there for years!! Oh thank you. I feel so much better now and I will order the known parts tomorrow! I am still curious about the bagger....

L

Lyd

Hi Sg....the only part missing is the upper bearing for the spindle. I assume it exploded and caused this mess. The nut was lying nicely alongside the shaft.

B

bertsmobile1

Hi Sg....the only part missing is the upper bearing for the spindle. I assume it exploded and caused this mess. The nut was lying nicely alongside the shaft.
Yep, they fall apart all the time and most don't notice it till the blade is cutting at a slop or chopping a slot in the deck.
Washing the deck promotes this happening .
And yes could very well have fallen off something next door & been sitting there just waiting to send you mad .
Some baggers have additional blowers and these are generally powered buy using a double pulley of some sort on the discharge side spindle .

L

Lyd

Thanks again, Berts...Good to know. I have not washed that deck since 2012! A good dusting and a scrape out twice a month was all it needed. Now I have a new hobby, finding what piece of equipment is missing that part! I used to cut the hayfield with a brush hog, but that was 2 years ago and I am sure that thing did not fall off of one of the horses before that. Thanks to all who contributed to this resolve. You folks are pure gold!

sgkent

sgkent

these are $12 at HF. 17". They make longer ones too. Easy to rig something up behind the mower too, to pick up any other pieces in that are which might be hiding. Including the blade there are six or seven parts that go on that shaft, spacers and things like that. Be sure you have them all.

30 washer bolt assembly that holds blade on
29 Blade
52 Shaft
42 Ball Bearing that sits inside bearing housing can be bought with Mandrel housing #2
3 Spacer washer
4 Mandrel Pulley
5 Nylock nut

Attachments