Help appreciated on mower purchase

Berners

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. I have read about all I can about a ZTR for home use, understood you can always do more research but there comes a time when the paralysis has to be kicked. I could use a little help from you good folks who have the experience; I have none with a ZTR. I have a 3ac home, probably mowing
1 1/4+ with many obstacles, trees, gardens, stone walls, pool a few grade changes but no big hills, decent lawn quality throughout. I have narrowed my brand to Bob-Cat because of dealer quality, proximity and price. My current landscaper sits for just about an hour using a ZTR w/52 inch deck while two guys trim; and trust me he runs at max MPH and the skid marks are everywhere he turns to show it. I always cut my prior lawns but sold my tractors with the old house and I thought I might as well buy a mower this time instead of a tractor that mows (had a New Holland GT and Kubota B series CUT). It is time I go back to cutting myself. At nearly a 100 bucks a cut the mower will pay for itself with my free labor.
My questions are:
1, does a larger tire size cause more or less turf damage, i.e.: 20 inch or 23 inch on the same weight mower. I read a larger tire causes less potential damage if driven the same way.
2, is there a difference in trimming around trees and walls if you use a larger deck? Like a 48 to 52?

Now for the mower question:
The Bob-Cat Fast Cat and Fast Cat Pro are where I am leaning but I cannot decide between these two models. Do you think there is any considerable benefit to spending additional $痴 for the PRO model: both model mowers I am looking at have 52 inch decks.

Here are a few of their stats:
Fast Cat Fast Cat Pro
Drive ZT-3100 ZT-3400
Pumps 10cc 12cc
Tires 20 in 23 in
Kawi FX651V, 22HP FX691V, 24HP
Deck Drive 125 pound 175 pound both Warner clutch
Seat Std seat Premium suspension seat w/elastameric suspension
Weight is nearly the same for both models.

The Fast Cat PRO will cost $600 more than the Fast Cat. Clearly the PRO model has better everything but I started out wanting to keep the budget at $5K and I am up to 6K now, and another 600 more if I go for the PRO. IMO this site does not have much posting action with Bob-Cats but all of the components on their mower are all top notch components that I have seen many good comments about on this site, albeit on other brands.

Thanks for any comments and opinions.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
Larger tires will give a lighter, pounds per square inch, footprint... there fore less compaction and less potential damage to turf... PLUS a smoother ride :thumbsup:.

Your maneuverability will generally be better with smaller decks, BUT a well designed mower will not necessarily suffer agility because of a larger deck... try the various brands you consider worth having.

A feature to one design can be a problem to another, so go with what you like on a mower, after all if your happy with the package you are buying, the cost is going to be secondary in the long run...

Look for features You consider essential... Whatever you decide on, post back with the pro's & any con's ... we all love to Read about mowers and real hands on use... :smile:KennyV

txzrider

Threads
I would like to say one thing about the damage your current guy is doing when he mowes at speed... he is mowing to get done and move on to the next yard... will you be doing doing that? I doubt it. I can mow mine in a hurry the next day after a rain and you could never see a mark in my yard. I slow down to turn... no big secret or hard to learn skill. Kenny and the guys can tell you about high end mowers... but the 1st time I mowed with my zt, I learned what worked and what didnt and that was all I needed. I think which ever you pick will be fine.

Berners

Forum Newbie
Threads
Txzrider, you are right on the mark about the speed, it's a business and he needs to do what he has to. Real nice guy. But, as I told him when he missed a week recently in May, it was a big growth week for the lawn and the dogs were knee deep, the wife just couldn't handle seeing the dogs in the long grass. I told him it was either him or me that's going to get the boot if he can't guarantee weekly cuts. Don't know why, but she picked him to go, go figure! That issue and others (not to mention the cost) was the reason I decided to consider doing it myself.
Thanks for your input on the tire size.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
When it comes to buying anything expensive these days you will always find the next model up will be $500 more and then another $500 for the next and so on.
Stick with your budget. Sometimes you are paying more but you dont realise the specs down on something else.

Example could be the tyres. If you bought the cheaper model with the smaller tyre you might find you can buy the same tyres like the next model up for $300 instead of the $500 for the mower.

Parkmower

Threads
Go for the pro. Better drive train. Bigger tires. And most important(in my opinion) premium seat. Well worth the money. Any difference in the decks. If so I'm assuming the pro has the better one. Another huge plus.