Hello to All!!!!

dcgreenspro

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just wanted to say hi to all of you. I am a landscaper currently trying to decide if a ventrac is worth the money. I work by myself and service around 30 properties. I think it's somewhere close to 20 acres. My question is about the day to day operations and cutting performance of this machine? How is the discharge and build up underneath the deck? How does it perform in thick, lush turf?
The mowing part of the machine is actually my only hold up. I would LOVE the aeovator attachment with seed bucket for fall renovations and the slip scoop/ and or bucket for helping me install mulch in the spring. But to buy the machine, I would have to find a dealer that would accept a trade in (scag) and then would be left with just the ventrac. Sorry it's so long winded but any comments would be greatly appreciated

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

There are some ventrac owners here... so I'm sure they will be commenting.
It appears you have looked at the machines, are the features of the Ventrac what you need, or more important are they features that you will use... Without a question that is a very nice tractor. and if you need the features & will be regularly using them... It's going to prove worth the money in the long run... :smile:KennyV

toro5xi

Threads
I have the 3223 with rear discharge deck and mulching kit. Even in the wet the build up is almost non existent. I am not a professional landscaper but I think the cut is very nice. For purely cutting grass there are probably better choices but the versatility is amazing. I use the slip scoop for mulch and plowing snow is effortless with this machine.
I actually traded in an atv which I was using for snow plowing. My dealer was great to work with.
Good luck on your decision. If you do buy the ventrac I think you will be very happy.

Slater

Threads
I also have a 3223 but with a 60" side discharge deck and mow several properties. Not a landscaper, but I am particular about my grass. :laughing:
I am always impressed the amount of grass I can cut and still have a nice finish cut. The only times I tend to see any problems is when you have junk grass/weeds that can sometimes bend over from a caster wheel or the tiny roller on the front and not pop up right away to get cut properly. I think my buddies 4000 series cut is a tad bit nicer with all types of grass, but I have always been very happy with the quality of cut of my Ventrac. Especially comparing my different neighbors who use a Kubota, JD, Toro, and Big Dog and I always have the nicest lawn on the block and I don't do anything to the lawn but keep it mowed and spray the dandelions.

Good luck, I am sure you can find a dealer to trade in your Scag. Maybe get some demos on the different properties you will cut to see how it performs. Worth a shot!

DonUp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have 4231TD, It's a great all year around machine. I cut 70 properties a week, some very large. I have a power rake, scoop, broom, tough cut deck, blower,and grass bagger. I'm a small company and need a to get in and out of this places. We landscape, mow and plow in the winter. I had a Z Master, a great machine but sets 6 months out of the year. Ventrac is a big investment for a small company but I use mine every day. By the way, it cut grass as nice as a Walker

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome !

Go and look at the posts in the other Ventrac threads -- you will see that the machine is well loved by owners and it does a good job with every attachment and situation it was designed for (and more) :thumbsup: :biggrin: I have the 4231 Gas Liquid Cooled and it does a great job with the 60" side discharge deck. The cleanest cutting blades I have used are the ones that I got from baileysonline.com Item # OEP 91217 20-1/2" Mulching Mower Blade (1/2" Center Hole) for Exmark 60" Mowers

Others may have better info for other decks - You will be happy with Ventrac and they are a good company to work with !

Last edited:

Raw Dodge

Threads
Hello, I have the 72" deck and the cut quality and discharge performance are excellent.I also have Dixie Chopper ZTRs a 60 and a 72 and the Ventrac can cut right with them. The only thing is being a front mount mower it does take a little longer to mow because it is not a zero turn... however the Ventrac saves you some time trimming with the deck out front you can go under stuff and with the 4wd articulation you can mow banks and ditches with ease that the ztrs would never be able to handle. My advice is if mowing is a large part of your operation and most of your accts are easily accessible now..stay with a zero turn... but if you have accounts that are steep or hilly and your doing a lot of string trimming and are looking to take on more work like that and you have a big enough trailer that's heavy duty enough to handle the Ventracs weight and length and versatility is more important than lawns per hour...you might be better off with a Ventrac.