Blades Hello/Snow blade installation

de dee

Threads
Sounds good. Regarding the weight - can I use my body weight as part of the equation? It sounds funny, but I'm a little more than 200#, so if I add another 100# to that, it seems like 300# is a little excessive and might be overworking the mower.

if you are worried about axel Wt. fill the tires with Wt., powder or liquid, that will take the Wt. off of the axel,.

Gumby83

Threads
if you are worried about axel Wt. fill the tires with Wt., powder or liquid, that will take the Wt. off of the axel,.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was just curious about how much weight was acceptable b/c I didn't want to overwork/overstress everything - not just the axle, but the transmission and engine also.

It's been a surprisingly mild winter so far in central Iowa - we've only had 1 snow "storm" that amounted a few inches of very light powder. I'm still working on the snow blade - it's been difficult to find time to do it - but since we haven't had a lot of snow fall I'm hoping to get it done before we do get slammed.

Gumby83

Threads
So this is a story about what I think God's humor is like:

Today I finally finished my snow blade build/install. It's been challenging - nothing has really gone wrong, it's just been interesting trying to fabricate the brackets and "engineer" a linkage to raise and lower as needed. It's by no means perfect, but it's good enough to work for this year, and throughout next summer I can work out all the things I'd like to improve on for next year.

Anyhow, the first thing on my to do list for today was to add a "stopper" to the blade. I was having an issue where the blade was just dragging and attempting to roll completely forward (before I'd gotten the linkage finished, I was trying to load it in my truck and the blade dropped, rolled forward and lifted the front tires off the ground via the bracket), so the simplest fix I could think of was to cut some 1/4" angle iron and position it to catch the ears on the blade.

Then I had to put something together to keep the blade in the raised position when I needed it to be. I settled on drilling a hole through the lever, drilling a hole through the rear fender, and hooking a bungee cord between them. :) Not the most sophisticated set-up but it works.

Finally I had to get my new tires and chains installed. That proved to be a bit more challenging, but in the end, a bead blaster got the job done. :thumbsup:

This all took about 3 hours. So I'm finally ready to load it up and head home (did all this at my shop at work). I'm running the mower, working on turning it around inside the shop, and all of a sudden.... the steering linkage breaks. :laughing: More specifically, the drag link from the steering shaft to the right tie rod - the ball joint end of the drag link gave out. I attempted to rig it with wire just for the sake of getting it loaded, but no luck. After about 10 minutes of wrestling with it, I finally just lined it up manually and pushed it into the truck by hand.

But, the local JD dealer has the drag link in stock for about $35 dollars, so I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow and then I'll be ready to go.... now if I only had some snow to push...:banana:

I just thought it was hilarious to finally get done with this month-long endeavor (working on it part time), praying the snow holds off until it's done, and then I finally get it done and the steering linkage gives out. If I'd of been a little more tired it would have been a lot more :smiley_aafz: :mad: :mur: for sure.