Hello - I’m brand new and I hope you can give me some guidance. I have a 2018 craftsman mower with a Briggs

KimKats417

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hello - I’m brand new and I hope you can give me some guidance. I have a 2018 craftsman mower with a Briggs
Engine model 44R67. I was using it today for a couple hours, then took a break for a snack and when I went back out it would not even turn over. it didn’t appear that power from the battery was getting to anything; it didn’t click it didn’t even show the hours in the little window - just nothing at all. The battery is good - at least the multimeter says it is and it was new last fall. I took it out over the winter and kept it in the garage on a maintainer, and It started right up earlier in the day so I don’t think its the battery.
My late husbands first degree was in automotive mechanics so I learned a bit from him, and I’m thinking either the starter or the solenoid went kaput. What else could it be- I‘m sure there are a host of things, but those two were the first that popped into Myhead. it was so odd that it just completely conked out after running for a couple hours.

any guidance you could offer would be very much appreciated!

thank you!

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Hello - I’m brand new and I hope you can give me some guidance. I have a 2018 craftsman mower with a Briggs
Welcome Aboard,

If you can, remove battery & local Auto Parts stores can "|Load Test" it FREE.
I've had batteries that had great volts, but failed on Amps. & If it is removed clean the battery cables for good connections.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF you post the numbers from the tag under the seat then we should be able to pull up a wiring diagram
Two things easy to check is the main fuse & the battery connections at the mower
I am assuming you did all the normal things like make sure the blades were off , parking brake was on & mower is not in reverse ( we have all done it more than once )
On the solenoid terminal the battery is connected to will be a single red ( usually ) wire , follow that and you will find a fuse.
The fuses rarely blow but the housings corrode because people do not waterproof them .
If you have jumper leads for you car, hook one up to the power wire to the starter motor being careful not to bridge to the starter body then touch the other end to the battery +
You will get a very big spark, so be ready for it
If the battery is good & the - lead is good the starter will crank
If the starter does not crank get your other jumper lead and hook it from the battery - to any solid metal bit on the motor
Starter does not crank = bad battery
Starter cranks = bad ground connection
Without knowing which mower model you have I can not be more specific , but if you have a fuel tank in front of the steering wheel then the fuse could be under the battery holder under the seat .

KimKats417

Forum Newbie
Threads
The model is 917.203901. Thank you for your help!