Hello from NC - engine question

WolfpackPapa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone! I’m replacing my lawn tractor. Yes, going big box due to limited funds. I was looking at a Cub Cadet with a Kohler engine. I spoke with my tractor repair guy and he says that in the last few years Kohler engines have gone downhill and Briggs and Station have gotten better and is now the better engine. He recommended the John Deere S140 with the breaded engine. Has anyone else heard this about these brands?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is some apprehension of the Briggs dealers due to the bankruptcy and what the future is for Them. Kohler has had some issues the last few years while working the bugs out of their consumer engines. For the most part other than the single cylinder Courage there hasn't been any major issues.

Also I would check with your local Cub Cadet dealer and see what they have in stock. There are times that the dealer can match or beat the big box store pricing, and even if they are slightly higher you are still better off going through a dealer just for the support. Dealers will work through their repairs according to normal shop flow procedures, which is they will work on their commercial customers first followed by their consumer customers that purchased from them. Box store customers are on the low end of the work flow schedule. So during a busy season it could take weeks or months to get your mower repaired if it wasn't purchased from them.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our mower buying and pricing section.

Born2Mow

Threads
Also I would check with your local Cub Cadet dealer and see what they have in stock. There are times that the dealer can match or beat the big box store pricing...
TRUE. Almost bought a Hustler ZTM at local big box, but they told me it would be delivered in 2 weeks. In the interim I happened by a dealer who had one in stock. The same $2000 mower was $200 cheaper at the dealer based on a factory incentive sales promotion. The big box sore was completely ignoring or unaware of the factory discount.

Mower Frank

Threads
Hey everyone! I’m replacing my lawn tractor. Yes, going big box due to limited funds. I was looking at a Cub Cadet with a Kohler engine. I spoke with my tractor repair guy and he says that in the last few years Kohler engines have gone downhill and Briggs and Station have gotten better and is now the better engine. He recommended the John Deere S140 with the breaded engine. Has anyone else heard this about these brands?
Wolkpack Papa, how much yard do you cut and how fast do you want to have it cut?
Depending on your location, check with your local mower dealer. I've purchased two zero turns over the past six years and got a upper end residential ztr and an entry level commercial ztr with 48 months interest free and no money down on both. Not to mention having a knowledgeable staff for answers, parts and non-diy repairs. Did I mention both ztr's have welded decks, not stamped decks for the same money at the big box.

Mower Frank

Threads
PS, both of these ztr's have the Kawasaki engine.

CoastlineDJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go Pack!!!

raycanderson

Forum Newbie
Threads
"I'm a Deere guy all my life. I trust them. Like others are saying, "go through a dealer." Always.

WolfpackPapa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wolkpack Papa, how much yard do you cut and how fast do you want to have it cut?
Depending on your location, check with your local mower dealer. I've purchased two zero turns over the past six years and got a upper end residential ztr and an entry level commercial ztr with 48 months interest free and no money down on both. Not to mention having a knowledgeable staff for answers, parts and non-diy repairs. Did I mention both ztr's have welded decks, not stamped decks for the same money at the big box.
I have a pretty hilly terrain with a decent slope, about an acre of actual mowing. From my own research a zero turn isn’t going to be the best for my type of land.

I did look at the Deere dealership but those are way out of my budget (I did still on the S240). I had a Husqvarna that later me a long time before. The local Vi Cub Cadet dealer sells the same one HD does so is good with the dealer first.

Born2Mow

Threads
I'd have to say, you are correct about ZTMs on hilly yards. They will definitely slide well before a lawn tractor if you need to ride across the slope. And it's very scary when it happens.

The lighter ZTMs are really more likely to slide than the big one. Weight is the deciding factor.