Hello...First Post

kailor

Threads
Hello All! First post to this forum. I'm working on (rebuilding my first engine) a 19.5 HP B&S Intek single, vertical, OHV engine due to a shattered connecting rod.

31P677
0804-B1
080402ZE

Q: I'm reusing piston, however I'm installing new rings...should I use a dingle ball hone (if so which and where to purchase) or a regular 3-bar stone hone?

I plan on using WD-40 in cylinder while honing.

Q: How, or best way to clean cylinder after honing?

Q: Regarding ring gap placement, I know to stagger each ring gap...should any of the ring gaps lie above either wrist pin opening or does it matter?

Thanks in advance.
Keith

Threads
First thing to do is put a small magnet inside the cylinder bore and check for a cast iron sleeve...... If it don't stick the you have a Kool bore..

Check for out of round and wear........ If it's not too bad then use chrome rings and don't hone it..........

kailor

Threads
Thanks BIEL.

I ordered ordinary B & S rings. Are they chrome?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This manual should be of some help with your project. As stated get some measurements before proceeding. If your cylinder is worn too far or out of round, please send your $$$ to me instead of wasting it on parts. Putting rings in a worn or out of round cylinder won’t last a season. If the rings are over sized, you must get an oversized piston. I assume (which can be bad) is that when you say “honing” you mean glaze honing not resizing the cylinder. If that is the case I would use a ball hone and parts cleaning solution as a lubricant. After you finish honing, grab your dishwashing soap and wash the entire block very, very clean and rinse with hot water. Repeat this three times, because any dirt will ruin your work. After you are done and have dried the block, spray a good coat of WD-40 on the cylinder surfaces immediately to prevent any oxidation, aka rust.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After you have washed & dried the bore pretend you are Wacko Jacko and place one white glove on your hand.
Rub a finger hard up and down the bore.
If it does not stay clean & white, then it is back to the hot soapy water & scrubbing brush.
Repeat till either the glove comes up clean or you start walking backwards while singing in a high pitch voice.

Threads
Chrome rings are different that standard rings...... And meant for aluminum bores only........ Briggs and Stratton recomends Chrome rings for worn cylinders oand out of round ....... Too much out is a NOGO....

I rebuilt a worn 3.75 or 4 HP Briggs about 5 years ago and didn't touch the bore with a ball hone or nothing... Put chrome rings in there and it's still running....

I see the guy mowing with it every now and then......