Head gasket

SlopeMan2

Threads
I have a Husquvarna tractor. 18.5hp. Can anyone tell me why I have gone thru 4 head gaskets? This one being the 4th. Blows out right across from the plug. There is no way I screwed up 3 headgaskets. Getting a little tired of this crap. Are these engines junk? I can change a hot cylinder in a 2500hp EMD but can't keep this running. Should sell everything and buy a diesel....
Sorry you are having so much trouble with headgaskets. I guess I am lucky. I have 4 mowers now with over 2,500 hours on them collectively, B&C and Kohlar. And I have put at least 2,500 hours on others in the past (know on wood). I do not recall even replacing one headgasket. There could have been a casting problem. Either the head or block is untrue. I remember a race car machinist telling me once, that he had seen a crankshaft linebore 1/4" out of line with the cylinders. He said a motor with a block like that will not last long. I am 88, and have had extremely good luck B&S & Kohlar. Best of luck finding out what is wrong.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would take a ratchet/socket yearly, check for head bolt snugness. Simple see if it turns from being loose. Not trying to apply much torque. Better yet the ol' torque wrench. Only takes two shakes of a lambs tail.

Clean the cooling fins while you are at it. I know what cooling fins?

Joed756

Threads
I have a Husquvarna tractor. 18.5hp. Can anyone tell me why I have gone thru 4 head gaskets? This one being the 4th. Blows out right across from the plug. There is no way I screwed up 3 headgaskets. Getting a little tired of this crap. Are these engines junk? I can change a hot cylinder in a 2500hp EMD but can't keep this running. Should sell everything and buy a diesel....
An old diesel mechanic trick...use two head gaskets.

Forest#2

Threads
joed756 said:
An old diesel mechanic trick...use two head gaskets.

Good info here
I've done the two head gasket with good results. (do the proper torque procedure)
Also it will slightly reduce the compression which can be a good thing on some engines.