Hard start

Toro1

Threads
Your mower may be part of those covered in a Service Bulletin issued back in January.

Step 1. Check your serial number on the back of the mower deck. If it is in the range of MZCG-8400001 ~ MZCG-8669999, it may need the updates outlined in the bulletin.
Step 2. Contact your dealer; since your mower is only a year old, it's still under warranty. Sounds like the problems you've been having may be related to the bulletin or other areas that might be covered under the warranty. If so, your dealer will fix it for free, so worth checking. Obviously, make sure you and your dealer understand and are clear about what you want them to do and not do, and what should be paid for by who, before authorizing any work.

Here's a copy of the bulletin, FYI:

That sure sounds like Bullseye's symptoms.
Hopefully, his serial number falls into the repair category.
Thanks much for the bulletin. The fix looks relatively easy.
I priced the parts called out in the bulletin, in case an individual wanted to repair himself. Came to about $50 with shipping.
Biggest expense was the HondaBondHT.

Bullseye

Threads
Your mower may be part of those covered in a Service Bulletin issued back in January.

Step 1. Check your serial number on the back of the mower deck. If it is in the range of MZCG-8400001 ~ MZCG-8669999, it may need the updates outlined in the bulletin.
Step 2. Contact your dealer; since your mower is only a year old, it's still under warranty. Sounds like the problems you've been having may be related to the bulletin or other areas that might be covered under the warranty. If so, your dealer will fix it for free, so worth checking. Obviously, make sure you and your dealer understand and are clear about what you want them to do and not do, and what should be paid for by who, before authorizing any work.

Here's a copy of the bulletin, FYI:

Thank you, Robert. My dealer, Chagrin Valley Pet and Garden just called to inform me that my shop manual is in. I'll ask the lads about the service bulletin TODAY.

~Lee

Bullseye

Threads
That sure sounds like Bullseye's symptoms.
Hopefully, his serial number falls into the repair category.
Thanks much for the bulletin. The fix looks relatively easy.
I priced the parts called out in the bulletin, in case an individual wanted to repair himself. Came to about $50 with shipping.
Biggest expense was the HondaBondHT.

Robert & Toro1,

Thank you for the assistance and that great service bulletin. I am studying the service bulletin and my new shop manual. Not only is the choke not working, the starter rope is hard to pull now. It is like there is no compression release. I'll turn a few wrenches this week and report my findings.

~Lee

Bullseye

Threads
My little darling is now in the competent and able hands of my dealer. Every time I used it something else would go South on it. With one season of 20-30 minute trim duties I am really surprised and disappointed. Hopefully it will be covered under warranty. To all who assisted me, "Thanks!" I'll report back in two weeks with the outcome. The young man at the counter asked, "What's wrong with it?"

I asked him how many lines he had to write down my answer. :smile:

Wish me luck that the warranty will cover it.

Bullseye

Threads
My little darling is back home and just like new. New choke control and new thermowax fixed her right up. Even though I had just changed the oil myself I had them change it again in case it got contaminated with all the hard starts. Warranty covered the choke and thermowax. I am once again a happy camper thanks to my wonderful dealer support.

Thank you Toro1 and robert@honda for your sage guidance.

~Lee

Toro1

Threads
Glad to hear all is well.
Sounds like you have a very fair and reputable dealer.
Enjoy the summer!!

Toro1

Bullseye

Threads
Glad to hear all is well.
Sounds like you have a very fair and reputable dealer.
Enjoy the summer!!

Toro1

Thanks, Toro1. Yep, my dealer has always been great. We've gone there since the late '60's. Now that the Honda is back in the stable I can get back to making a leaf collector for my little John Deere X300. I have a 20 year old 5 HP MacKissic 4-in-1 blower, vacuum, chipper-shredder that I am using for the muscle. Yesterday I gave it a thorough cleaning (how did it get so dirty in just 20 years?) and changed the spark plug and air filter, both of which looked like new - not bad considering they came with the machine. I'm also going to build a small greenhouse for my daughter this summer.

~Lee