Greasing 917.289240

the.doc

Threads
I'd like to grease this tractor(Fig 1). The lube chart (Fig 2) shows 5 points to grease: the steering sector and 2 on each of the front wheels. The steering sector is easy to finds are the spindle zerks. The zerks for the front wheel bearings must be behind the hubcaps (Fig 3). Can you tell me how to get the hubcaps off without destroying them? I can spin them pretty easily, but the ridge near the end of the axle holds them on tightly.

Also how do I know when I've pumped in enough grease? (Harbor Freight hand grease pump)

thanks again, guys

Attachments

• cover-compressed.jpg
    cover-compressed.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 5
  • LubeChart.jpg
    LubeChart.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 5
  • HubCap.jpg
    HubCap.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 6

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check inside front wheels for grease fittings. Pump grease until visible, wipe off excess grease.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Jack up so both front wheels are off the ground
Grease the steering ones till grease oozes out of the BOTTOM
Remove those black dust caps, they just pull off , grease the wheel till grease oozes out of the FRONT then wipe off excess & replace the caps
Caps may need slight heating if they are really stiff .
remove rear wheels and grease the axels lest you want to be in this situation rusted on rear wheel thread
Ge a can of dry lithium chassis and spray it liberally every where that one metal parts moves against another metal part, so all of the deck mounting points, steering fan gear, pinion & bushes all oft the control rods & levers plus the deck & drive tension arm pivots
Leave it for 1/2 hour for the spray solvents to flash off .
Th e right amount is around 1/2 to 1/3 of a can per lube

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And those hub caps are relative cheap at around $2-$3 each retail. If they are hard here I just cut them off and replace.