Gravely ZTR / Kohler Courage 17 (SV 530)

PBurke

Forum Newbie
Threads
NEED SOME EXPERTISE!!!!

This Kohler has been running just fine with zero issues for years; recently as I was mowing, obviously blades engaged, the mower acted as if I pulled the throttle back to idle; it would not throttle up after that. In idle, I drove it back into the garage, shut it off ... and now it will not start. It cranks normal, and busts off but just as if I was trying to start it in idle; if I choke it, it will bust off, but not start or run.

Things I have checked:
> Anything obvious such as damage, anything loose, stuck, cracked etc...
> Fuel level (same fuel I've mowed with for the past 3 weeks)
> Fuel flow (Replaced Fuel Pump and Inline Filter) (Removed Fuel Selector and verified correct working order) Fuel getting through pump, into carb...
> Checked for cracked fuel lines or loose connections
> Oil Level (checked for Oil Level Switch) apparently this model does not have one.
> Kitted the carburetor (same reaction, no difference)
> Every safety switch I can find (they seem to be in order)??
> Replaced Spark Plug
> Checked for good spark (yellow/blue)?? Not the best I've ever seen, but not the worst either
> Checked all fuses that I can locate
> Checked the carb solenoid (does not work, hasn't worked for the entire year, removed needle) Has worked just fine until that moment / But???

Here's something I've noticed while trying to start it ... if I choke it, it tries to start but will not. move the throttle to med-high, it will not try to start until I choke it again.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated ...

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the valve cover and the spark plug. Turn the engine over by hand watching the valves open and close. Make sure both valves are opening the same amount. Kind of sounds like a camshaft problem.

PBurke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh great ... Ok, I'll give that a look this evening; thanks for the information, I really appreciate that. Just as added information if it helps ... the mower has 185 hours on it, unfortunately I didn't buy it new, so I couldn't actually say it's been maintained properly prior to me acquiring it.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
NEED SOME EXPERTISE!!!!

This Kohler has been running just fine with zero issues for years; recently as I was mowing, obviously blades engaged, the mower acted as if I pulled the throttle back to idle; it would not throttle up after that. In idle, I drove it back into the garage, shut it off ... and now it will not start. It cranks normal, and busts off but just as if I was trying to start it in idle; if I choke it, it will bust off, but not start or run.

Things I have checked:
> Anything obvious such as damage, anything loose, stuck, cracked etc...
> Fuel level (same fuel I've mowed with for the past 3 weeks)
> Fuel flow (Replaced Fuel Pump and Inline Filter) (Removed Fuel Selector and verified correct working order) Fuel getting through pump, into carb...
> Checked for cracked fuel lines or loose connections
> Oil Level (checked for Oil Level Switch) apparently this model does not have one.
> Kitted the carburetor (same reaction, no difference)
> Every safety switch I can find (they seem to be in order)??
> Replaced Spark Plug
> Checked for good spark (yellow/blue)?? Not the best I've ever seen, but not the worst either
> Checked all fuses that I can locate
> Checked the carb solenoid (does not work, hasn't worked for the entire year, removed needle) Has worked just fine until that moment / But???

Here's something I've noticed while trying to start it ... if I choke it, it tries to start but will not. move the throttle to med-high, it will not try to start until I choke it again.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated ...

Did you check the throttle linkage and spring attached to it(if it has one)?

PBurke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes Sir, I did look at the linkage; I also kitted the carb as well ... no change.

Thanks for the thought .... I'm not discounting anything... more often these things are the pettiest of things that we overlook ....

Roachman

Threads
You might want to check the valve lash while you have the cover off and the plug out. Can't hurt, might help unless it has hydraulic valves and is non-adjustable.

DaveTN

Threads
I'm wondering if the Internal Governor has let go, or lost a weight or something?
It would run low with no throttle up, or else it would run wide open. I would try
adjusting the Governor Arm, Shaft, and Linkage to proper specs, then see what it
does. I had a cousin who had a brand new riding mower with a B&S single in it and it
started knocking and kicking like a Jackass in a tin stall. Yet it ran! I went over
to look at it and cranked it up and it fired off and ran but with a tremendous
clanging in it. I shut it off immediately. Since I'm not a certified mechanic cleared
to do "Warranty" work, I would not touch it. What it turned out to be was a broken
camshaft. I looked at it later and was surprised it even ran! Cam broken completely
in two pieces, yet had enough rough surface to hold together. The only thing
keeping it together was the Crankshaft gear, Cam shaft recesses in the block and the
sump plate holding the other end of the Camshaft! :confused2: