Gravely ZT HD 60 (FR730V) burning oil

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That's the odd thing. The leak down test indicated it was in good shape.
Well and this is important. Are you doing the standard leakdown test or the modified one that I use on OHV engines? The modified test can check the whole cylinder stroke as a standard test only checks the upper cylinder. Cylinders tends to wear both oval and taper in the lower cylinder. I had engine that pass the standard test but fail the modified test.

toddc78

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well and this is important. Are you doing the standard leakdown test or the modified one that I use on OHV engines? The modified test can check the whole cylinder stroke as a standard test only checks the upper cylinder. Cylinders tends to wear both oval and taper in the lower cylinder. I had engine that pass the standard test but fail the modified test.
I did a standard test on it as I'm more of a car feller than a mower feller. Good info to know!

toddc78

Forum Newbie
Threads
Run a 20W50 in it. And, not a synthetic. Just plain old 20W50. It should make it to 1,000 hours and possibly beyond. Kawasaki knows that their engines use oil, that’s why they updated the oil specifications.
This did the trick. I used Kawi 20W50 and also put one of those Donaldson air intakes on to get the intake further away from the exhaust. It didn't burn any oil on the last mow. Thanks!