Gravely ZT HD 60 (FR730V) burning oil

toddc78

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Gravely HD 60 that has the FR730V engine and it has been burning some oil for the past couple years. I believe it is a 2011 model and has 680 ours on it. Outside of the oil burning issue, it is in outstanding shape as I scrape the deck and blow it off with each use. I wouldn't mind sticking another engine on the beast but though I might bump up the hp a little if that was the case. Has anyone ever replaced the FR730V with a different engine? *Also, have I been hanging out in the mechanic shop too long and should I just buy a d@mn new one?? The Scag dealer is right down the road.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not too much bigger than your engine without going to a commercial engine and they are a lot more expensive.
Pounds to peanuts on your rings being worn out & the bores glazed
The FR air filter is not the best and very prone to leaking .
New rings and a Donaldson style air filter and you should be fine till the hydros fail.

toddc78

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not too much bigger than your engine without going to a commercial engine and they are a lot more expensive.
Pounds to peanuts on your rings being worn out & the bores glazed
The FR air filter is not the best and very prone to leaking .
New rings and a Donaldson style air filter and you should be fine till the hydros fail.

Thanks for the reply. When the rings start to wear on these, would they tend to smoke much? This one does t smoke at all other than a thin and quick puff on startup.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depends on the crank shaft size. The bigger engines only come with an 1 1/8 crank shaft. If yours is this size you could possibly go to a larger engine if it would fit in the space where it mounts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the reply. When the rings start to wear on these, would they tend to smoke much? This one does t smoke at all other than a thin and quick puff on startup.
Modern oils do not smoke anywhere as much as older oils did
kawakasi engine all tend to leak some oil into the cylinders so usually blow some smoke for a few seconds when started
If you like acquiring tools the a bore-o-scope is fun provided you get one small enough to be manouvered once down the plug hole.
If you have a compressor then a leak down tester wil quickly let you know the condition of the rings ( & Valves )

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You said it’s only a puff of smoke at start up. You didn’t say how much oil you need to add and how often you add oil. You didn’t say what grade of oil that you have been using.
Next oil change, put some 20W50 in it.

toddc78

Forum Newbie
Threads
You said it’s only a puff of smoke at start up. You didn’t say how much oil you need to add and how often you add oil. You didn’t say what grade of oil that you have been using.
Next oil change, put some 20W50 in it.
Seems like I add 4 or 5 ounces every time I mow. I mow about 3 acres.

toddc78

Forum Newbie
Threads
Modern oils do not smoke anywhere as much as older oils did
kawakasi engine all tend to leak some oil into the cylinders so usually blow some smoke for a few seconds when started
If you like acquiring tools the a bore-o-scope is fun provided you get one small enough to be manouvered once down the plug hole.
If you have a compressor then a leak down tester wil quickly let you know the condition of the rings ( & Valves )
That's the odd thing. The leak down test indicated it was in good shape.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems like I add 4 or 5 ounces every time I mow. I mow about 3 acres.
Run a 20W50 in it. And, not a synthetic. Just plain old 20W50. It should make it to 1,000 hours and possibly beyond. Kawasaki knows that their engines use oil, that’s why they updated the oil specifications.

toddc78

Forum Newbie
Threads
Run a 20W50 in it. And, not a synthetic. Just plain old 20W50. It should make it to 1,000 hours and possibly beyond. Kawasaki knows that their engines use oil, that’s why they updated the oil specifications.
Thanks mpar.