Gravely riding mower won't start

mardigrasla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a new battery thinking the old one was no good. I have to use jumper cables to start my gravely each time. It runs fine, but one I turn it off, it won't start again unless I jump it. The local shop said to test for solenoid and that seemed okay. Any help is appreciated
When I turn the key I get 1 click sound from it and nothing else.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It does sound like the starter (solenoid) isn't getting all the juice (energy) it needs without a jump.
I'd check all the electrical connections and make sure they are clean and tight. If you can get to the solenoid, try to spray it out with contact cleaner (brake cleaner works, but blow it out with air afterwords so sparks won't ignite it). Let us know what you find out,

Just bought a new battery thinking the old one was no good. I have to use jumper cables to start my gravely each time. It runs fine, but one I turn it off, it won't start again unless I jump it. The local shop said to test for solenoid and that seemed okay. Any help is appreciated
When I turn the key I get 1 click sound from it and nothing else.

mardigrasla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checked all connections and blew out around the solenoid and still nothing. Actually it doesn't even click now. I will leave it alone for a while and try again. I will never buy another Gravely, ever! Thanks for the help. Now, while I was at the solenoid there was a small black box that looked as though there was a fuse in it. I took the fuse out and blew on it and then put it back. Could there be something as simple as the fuse?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
YES it could be a fuse even if it does not look bad, it could be - one of the best machines I ever had was a Gravely - I don't know what model you have and how they are made now, but the one I had was great.
Have you tried tapping the solenoid with a plastic mallet (something that won't dent the case) It sounds like contacts somewhere. Could it be at your starter switch ?
Checked all connections and blew out around the solenoid and still nothing. Actually it doesn't even click now. I will leave it alone for a while and try again. I will never buy another Gravely, ever! Thanks for the help. Now, while I was at the solenoid there was a small black box that looked as though there was a fuse in it. I took the fuse out and blew on it and then put it back. Could there be something as simple as the fuse?

mardigrasla

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will give that a try.
Every brand has their lemon and I guess I got the Gravely one. My brother and father own Gravely as well and haven't had the problems I have had.
I will let you know what happens.
Thanks

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will give that a try.
Every brand has their lemon and I guess I got the Gravely one. My brother and father own Gravely as well and haven't had the problems I have had.
I will let you know what happens.
Thanks

It is very possible one of the safety switches has a loose connection which is preventing the juice getting to the starter. My older JD 318 tractor had an underseat safety switch that corroded and when trying to start it, all I got was a click as you describe. I never tried jump starting though but replaced the switch, it was the one that prevented the starter from engaging unless the operator was sitting on the seat. May be a dumb suggestion but it's all I can come up with from here.

mardigrasla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Never a dumb suggestion. I'm giving anything and everything a try before I have to pay someone to fix it. I appreciate the comments.
Thank you

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never a dumb suggestion. I'm giving anything and everything a try before I have to pay someone to fix it. I appreciate the comments.
Thank you

Just thought of something else, would it be possible there is something on your machine that is running the battery down even if the engine is off? It takes only a tiny current leak to drain a battery. And are you sure the alternator on the engine is charging the battery when the engine is running? Unless you have a multimeter to test the battery voltage, it is very hard to tell how much of a charge a battery has. Your battery may not be getting a charge from the alternator, or perhaps a switch is stuck or corroded and draining voltage with the engine off. For what it is worth, I hate electrical problems on powered equipment. Current cannot be seen, only measured.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
JDgreen is right - it could be safety switches, fuses, ground wires, starter switch, or any dirty contact points that limit current flow.

What Gravely do you have and what engine is it ? Model numbers and or pictures would help.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It would be nice to know if you got it started and what you found !