Gravely Kohler engine replacement

smira511

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I'm new here and would appreciate any advice.
I have a Gravely 1840 ZT mower that needs the engine replaced.
The spec number of the kohler engine is SV540-0023.
I have found online an engine with a spec number of SV540-0002.
I called the company and they said that the -0023 and the -0002 were basically the same engine and that the -0002 was made for a Husqavarna mower instead of Gravely.
Is it possible to use this engine as a replacement for the Gravely?
What specifications do I need to look at to see if they are in fact the same engine?

Thanks in advance for any help

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The crankshaft is the same on the engines which is the main thing. Just for giggles I went on the Kohler dealer site and compared the two engines that you listed. To turn the sv540-0002 into a sv540-0023 you would need to remove 19 parts and install 29 parts, which included the short block and head, fuel pump, carb mounting stud, among other things. You will need to look at the features of both engines and make sure the ooo2 engine has all the stuff that will be required to mount on your mower, such as fuel pump, charging system, throttle control, ignition features.

smira511

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for that info. The only reason i wanted to use the -0002 is because i can get a new one for $599. So you are saying that the head, fuel pump and other things will not work? or that to make it like a -0023 they would have to be changed? Really the only reason for using the -0002 is to save money. This engine tearing up was not one of the things I planned for while I was in Iraq all of last year, so I'm trying to save where I can.

smira511

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also,
I could not find anywhere on the Kohler website where I could compare the -0002 and -0023 engines. All i could find was SV480, SV530, SV540, etc. It did not differentiate between different spec engines.
Where could I find that info?
Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think most of the change parts are due to the difference in when the engine were made, and due to upgraded parts since your original engine was made. It looks like the two engines are 93% similar. The crankshaft, fuel pump, charging system are the same between the two engines, so without actually seeing your setup I would think it would work. May require a few minor changes, but maybe none at all, it may just be a direct swap.

I think most of the changes that are listed from the kohler dealer site are due to the block being upgraded from when your mower was made, You know like upgraded block requires different head, blower housing, engine shrouds, but the engine features and dimensions would be the same.

smira511

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies ILENGINE.
I think I'm going to go for it and go with the cheaper engine. I'm a little worried about ordering an engine from a company off the internet, but I just can't afford what the shop wants to charge me for ordering the engine and installing it. Although I am a Blackhawk helicopter engine mechanic, I have never swapped a lawnmower engine. (believe me- turbine engines are TOTALLY different than small gas engines) But, I'm pretty sure I can handle it.
Again, thanks for all the advice

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I think I'm going to go for it and go with the cheaper engine. I'm a little worried about ordering an engine from a company off the internet, but I just can't afford what the shop wants to charge me for ordering the engine and installing it. Although I am a Blackhawk helicopter engine mechanic, I have never swapped a lawnmower engine. (believe me- turbine engines are TOTALLY different than small gas engines) But, I'm pretty sure I can handle it.
I'm sure you'll get it to work!

If not, come back here and no doubt somebody will be able to help you.

DaveTN

Threads

Sooner or later someone's going to come out with a TURBINE powered mower, so might as well be YOU, since you work on them anyways! ;) One of the first things to go in mowers w/ advancing technology was points. Now they've got FUEL INJECTION!! What's next?