Gravely Hydro Fluid?

firemediceric

Threads
I'm having no success getting a response in the Gravely area of the forum. Maybe I'll have better success putting it to a wider audience?

I have a roughly 10 year old Gravely Pro Master 320 HD with a 60" deck. Can anyone tell me, or better yet point me to some printed information, what to use for hydraulic fluid? Also, in what position should the deck be when I look for the fluid level on the dip stick?

I purchased an owner's manual, but no where in the manual do I find the information. I stopped in to my local dealer and he just off the cuff told me "Mobil 1 oil." When I asked about the position of the deck when checking the fluid he looked at me cross-eyed. I pointed out that a lot less fluid will be in the reservoir when the hydraulic rams are fully extended versus when they are fully retracted. That seemed to be a new thought for him. His reply was to have the deck set "half way." He didn't instill a lot of confidence. I sure don't want to do damage to the hydraulics by using the wrong fluid, by putting in too much, or by not having enough in the system.

Thank you.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm having no success getting a response in the Gravely area of the forum. Maybe I'll have better success putting it to a wider audience?

I have a roughly 10 year old Gravely Pro Master 320 HD with a 60" deck. Can anyone tell me, or better yet point me to some printed information, what to use for hydraulic fluid? Also, in what position should the deck be when I look for the fluid level on the dip stick?

I purchased an owner's manual, but no where in the manual do I find the information. I stopped in to my local dealer and he just off the cuff told me "Mobil 1 oil." When I asked about the position of the deck when checking the fluid he looked at me cross-eyed. I pointed out that a lot less fluid will be in the reservoir when the hydraulic rams are fully extended versus when they are fully retracted. That seemed to be a new thought for him. His reply was to have the deck set "half way." He didn't instill a lot of confidence. I sure don't want to do damage to the hydraulics by using the wrong fluid, by putting in too much, or by not having enough in the system.

Thank you.

Not knowing whether your 10-yr-old Gravely has separate pumps/wheel motors or the HydroGear unitized trannies I would be reluctant to give you advice. I'm 99.9% positive that ALL of the HydroGear trannies use 20w50 motor oil NOT hydraulic oil(or synthetic oil). I contacted Gravely from their Support webpage(using the "chat feature" with a question about my 2012 Pro-Turn 152 and they were VERY patient and got ahold of an engineeer while we were chatting to make sure that the answer they gave me was correct. Ariens bought Gravely since you bought your machine, and their support seemed to be top notch. here's a link to the support webpage below:

Support Home Page

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your 'Lucky' your thread will not get moved... unfortunately, we do have a guy moving posts without reading them, Or understanding what they just read, or just because they can't 'think' of something else to do...:laughing:

Mobil1 15W-50 synthetic (motor oil)is ideal in your system...
You are right about the oil differences between a ram extended and one retracted, retracted will have less the volume displaced by the rod. You can easily see the difference by checking the level with it raised and then check with it lowered. That variation will fall within the normal range of operation. But the starting point should be with all rams retracted.
Gravely assembled a good product using great components, With your aparent attention to detail you will get a LOT of years use from it... :smile:KennyV

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
If your 'Lucky' your thread will not get moved... unfortunately, we do have a guy moving posts without reading them, Or understanding what they just read, or just because they can't 'think' of something else to do...:laughing:

Mobil1 15W-50 synthetic (motor oil)is ideal in your system...
You are right about the oil differences between a ram extended and one retracted, retracted will have less the volume displaced by the rod. You can easily see the difference by checking the level with it raised and then check with it lowered. That variation will fall within the normal range of operation. But the starting point should be with all rams retracted.
Gravely assembled a good product using great components, With your aparent attention to detail you will get a LOT of years use from it... :smile:KennyV

KennyV,

I'm glad someone with more knowledge of the older Gravely models chimed in to help the OP. So, even though my HydroGear ZT-3400 trannies recommend 20w50 SAE motor oil(I have topped up my resevoirs with Pennzoil 20w50), should I consider the synthetic 15W50 when I have my trannies serviced at 70hours???? It kinda sounds like the OP's Gravely has the separate pump/wheel motors setup rather than the HydroGear trannies like my Gravely Pro-Turn. I know the HydroGear website(and my Gravely User manual) specifically recommend the 20w50 SAE.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will do fine with 20w 50 ... But you will do better with a synthetic, synthetic oil arrive at a multi viscosity alittle bit different than mineral oil viscosity enchantments... Over the years the major pump/motor & pump&motor systems have approved synthetics... The biggest killers of hydro systems is heat... and most mower applications have barely adequate reservoir for dumping build up heat... that's a big strong point with synthetic motor oil... it will not break down easily with Heat...
The difference in viscosity between mineral 20w 50 and synthetic 15w 50 will almost nonexistent, but the added heat protection is a Lot...
:smile:KennyV

firemediceric

Threads
Thanks guys. Good information that is helpful. Just what I was looking for. I've also submitted the question to the Gravely support page just for confirmation. Thank you for that link, too.

I updated my avatar with a pic of the wife on the mower. Notice the phone in her hand. Texting even when mowing. :confused2:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks guys. Good information that is helpful. Just what I was looking for. I've also submitted the question to the Gravely support page just for confirmation. Thank you for that link, too.

I updated my avatar with a pic of the wife on the mower. Notice the phone in her hand. Texting even when mowing. :confused2:

firemediceric,
Ohhh, now I see.....you have the Outfront Series ProMaster. When you said 10-yrs-old, the 320HD didn't "click" with me. That is one fine-looking mower and indeed the newer(2012) models have the separate HyrdoGear Pumps and HydroGear Wheel motors(as well as dual wheel steering and the power tilt deck. That sure is one beast of a grass-cutting machine!!! Is the steering on that "kinda like a joystick" with two handles on a single lever??? That's gotta help when the wife needs to text somebody:0)
Makes my Pro-Turn(even though it's a Commercial unit) look like a "toy"!!!
P.S.
Like I said, I think Gravely Support should be a johnny-on-the spot anytime you need assistance with your machine. Their Support seems to be spot on.

firemediceric

Threads
firemediceric,
Ohhh, now I see.....you have the Outfront Series ProMaster. When you said 10-yrs-old, the 320HD didn't "click" with me. That is one fine-looking mower and indeed the newer(2012) models have the separate HyrdoGear Pumps and HydroGear Wheel motors(as well as dual wheel steering and the power tilt deck. That sure is one beast of a grass-cutting machine!!! Is the steering on that "kinda like a joystick" with two handles on a single lever??? That's gotta help when the wife needs to text somebody:0)
Makes my Pro-Turn(even though it's a Commercial unit) look like a "toy"!!!
P.S.
Like I said, I think Gravely Support should be a johnny-on-the spot anytime you need assistance with your machine. Their Support seems to be spot on.

The steering is very simplistic. The slang term the commercial guys around here use is to call it "bullhorns." Two handles rise up, which you can see in the picture, but they are joined to a horizontal bar that T's into the vertical shaft. That connects through simple mechanical linkage to sprockets underneath the seat. Those sprockets with the chain that is on them control the steer wheels that are directly under the driver. There is no power assist of any type going to those steer wheels, although limit switches must be placed somewhere in that area because if the steer wheels are turned sharply in on direction or another, one or the other drive wheels will loose hydraulic power. I hope I explained it well.