Grasshopper 618

Slong1958

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to this site and I'm looking for some help. I purchased a 618 front deck mower last year with low hours on it and I love the mower and the way it cuts but when you turn around it wants to dig in. To keep it from doing that we have been manually rising the deck just a bit when turning and that works,but it also created another problem with all the up and down movement it's wearing out the lift points. I've add oil and grease to these points which helps a little but not enough. Any suggestion beside stop rising and lowing the deck.
Thanks

Dieselbob

Threads
Did you find out what your problem was? I have a 618 too and have never had an issue like that.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Used mowers hav the problem of an unknown history.
If the deck digs in when you turn corners it is out of adjustment or the front castors have problems.
lift the deack clear of the ground and check the castors can swivel freely and note carefully if the axel on the castor stays parallel to the ground as it swivels.
If it does not swivel really easily pull it apart and replace the bearings make sure there is plenty of grease in there.
I use marine grease in castors as they dont move enough to generate much heat and suffer more from the elements than anything else.
naturally you will need to lube the wheel axel as well.

Up front decks on big mowers oft get slammed into things like steel posts & retaining walls.
Despite the substantial thickness of the steel they do bend quite easily

Dieselbob

Threads
Good point about the castor wheels. I HAVE had both the front mower castor wheels as well as the unit rear wheel castors lock up on me. The grease gets old and hard and the wheels will not pivot freely, tearing up the grass. As part of my regular maintenance routine, I take apart, clean, inspect, grease and reassemble the front castors every year, and the rears (they have regular tapered roller bearings) every two years.