grasshopper 329B blade bolt

STEVES

Threads
are bolts torqued to specs. when installed?

Rosco2002

Threads
thanks every one for the input. this week ill be checking the spindles and cup washers over good. and i belive lock tight is always a good idea.

Rosco2002

Threads
i doubt they are torqued. just took over maintenance for this street department. i bet they are just run in with a 1/2" rattle gun. trying to get all this junk up to snuff for next season

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Grasshopper like to use a fibre washer or two to clamp the blade , these wear thin over time so fail to clamp the blades tight enough.
If properly tightened you should be able to engage the PTO clutch and then turn the motor over by rotating the blades
Fine threads are very shallow so it is very easy to deform the threads
If the bolts are perpetually falling out then I would suggest replacing the spindles because pounds to peanuts the internal threads are stuffed .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most mower manufactures do provide torque specs for tightening the blade bolts. Depends on the bolt size and grade and thread type fine or coarse. You should be able to find a generic blade bolt from a bolt supply company. I know we buy from Hillman that supplies all types of hardware and bolts. I know they have some grade 8 flange head blots not sure if they have fine threaded ones or not.

STEVES

Threads
That's why I asked the question, if torque is done then proceed problem solving. Those guns just bounce, especially with bevel washers causing low torque.
Seen some stone wall issues!20210622_142259 (2).jpg

Rosco2002

Threads
after talking more to the guys running the mowers. They are reusing the old fiber washers or just not using them at all. found that the cup washers are all flat. so we will be changing all the cup washers. the spindle threads all look to be in ok shape, was told to get at least one more season out of the spindles before we change them management has put a stop to the crew working on there own equipment, so i will be very busy.