Grasshopper 322D stalling problem

demaree66

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 322D Grasshopper. It will mow fine until I turn or go on a hill then the engine will die or almost die, then I stop and wait for 20 or 30 seconds and it will recover and continue mowing as normal. It doesn't start hard or smoke and now it seems to get worse and will stop even when I am just driving straight. I mowed 2 acres with it this morning and it never quit once and the last 5 acres it died 6 or 7 times. I have drained the fuel tank, new fuel hoses and vent tubes, new fuel pump, new filters ( twice ) and the problem is still there. Been to the shop twice and has not fixed it. I have a fuel tank in my barn and cleaned that tank and put on a new pump filter on the tank. I run my tractors and Bobcat from the same fuel tank and have no problems with either one of those machines. HELP !!!!:mad:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could it be electrical ? Safety switch, loose wires, pinched wire, loose connector

demaree66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could it be electrical ? Safety switch, loose wires, pinched wire, loose connector
Doesn't die all the way out and just shut off which would be an electrical issue. Motor just boggs way down and then slowly recovers to normal and continues on

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Grasshopper Forum. :smile:

173abn

Threads
how about your air filter,have you checked that?..russ

jesse_james1

Forum Newbie
Threads
did you ever resolve the issue with the lawnmower

ekim22

Threads
New comer here, having the same issue with my mower so I was googling the issue and found this thread. Was wishing someone had a solution to it because it seems to be the exact same problem I have. Thinking the original poster here may have abandon the thread so I guess I'll hijack it. Here's what I posted on another forum:

I have a grasshopper mower with 19hp diesel Kubota motor on it

Looks similar to this:

Mower.jpg

About a week ago it was "coughing" while I tried to start it and when I toyed with the throttle, it started but with the throttle wide open, it was barely running....then it slowly started revving up before it was under full power again.

I took out the air filter and gave it a massive cleaning. Made sure the vent plate over the radiator wasn't clogged...

Once I did that, it started up normally and responds fine to throttle when I'm sitting idle......but after about 30-60 seconds of riding, the mower bogs down when I push the hydrostatic controls to "full speed" and especially if I have the blades going.

The engine slows down and the speed decreases dramatically.....but if I let off of the hydro-static controls and return them to the neutral position, the engine revs back up to normal RPM levels.

With the clean air filter, I feel like it's getting air....maybe a fuel pump issue? Anyone had anything like this before?

ekim22

Threads
New comer here, having the same issue with my mower so I was googling the issue and found this thread. Was wishing someone had a solution to it because it seems to be the exact same problem I have. Thinking the original poster here may have abandon the thread so I guess I'll hijack it. Here's what I posted on another forum:

I have a grasshopper mower with 19hp diesel Kubota motor on it

Looks similar to this:

Mower.jpg

About a week ago it was "coughing" while I tried to start it and when I toyed with the throttle, it started but with the throttle wide open, it was barely running....then it slowly started revving up before it was under full power again.

I took out the air filter and gave it a massive cleaning. Made sure the vent plate over the radiator wasn't clogged...

Once I did that, it started up normally and responds fine to throttle when I'm sitting idle......but after about 30-60 seconds of riding, the mower bogs down when I push the hydrostatic controls to "full speed" and especially if I have the blades going.

The engine slows down and the speed decreases dramatically.....but if I let off of the hydro-static controls and return them to the neutral position, the engine revs back up to normal RPM levels.

With the clean air filter, I feel like it's getting air....maybe a fuel pump issue? Anyone had anything like this before?

Didn't get a response on this but I did resolve it and wanted to comment on it here in case someone comes along one day with the same problem and is looking for a solution.

I changed both fuel filters ($25) and although the old ones looked dark, this did not seem to resolve the problem....when I looked at the first fuel filter, it was not filling up....this gave me the clue that maybe the problem wasn't the filter but getting the fuel from the tank to the filter. Then I looked at the "straw" coming out of the tank. Against my better judgement, I wiped off the diesel on the end of it and gave it a "blow".....as I suspected, the air flow coming out of the straw was restricted so I figured it was blocked.

I blew on it, put a compressor nozzle on it, ran pressured water through it, snaked a small piece of wire through it...and finally got some sludge and small bits of grass to come out where the straw made the 90 degree turn to the fuel line. This did the trick. I went out and cut grass with it and 30 minutes in, there was an out-right full size leaf in my fuel filter. I must have sludge in the bottom of the tank. Next step is to drain the tank and clean it out. Anyways, mission accomplished, it's running better.