Grass isn't cut between the blades.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What would the anti-scalp wheels have to do with it? Are those anti-scalp wheels adjusted to be in constant contact with the ground? If so, they shouldn’t be.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ll say it again, has anyone checked the spindle bearings and pulleys? If the blades are not turning properly, they will cause your problem. Bad bearings will slow down blade speed. As stated, anti-scalp wheels are just a mechanic who has no clue as where to look to solve the problem. I wouldn’t waste $$$ replacing them.

GrumpyCat

Threads
Maybe he doesn’t have enough zinc in his motor oil? 😇
(Makes as much sense as anti-scalping wheels.)

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I went back and looked at the OP’s photo.
Two things stood out for me. First is it’s a pasture type property. Using even a commercial zero turn, it’s going to need double cutting.
Second is the rather large swath of partially and uncut grass.
I would go straight to that center spindle and pulley. Is the spindle locked up? Make sure that center blade is mounted right side up.

One last thing. Set your deck completely flat or 1/8” higher in the rear. Make sure the your wide open throttle RPM is 3,600 without a load.

Uncensored

Forum Newbie
Threads
When did this start occurring? All of a sudden or over time? Did you do any maintenance just before the problem showed up? Have you leveled the deck? If you are skipping that wide of a strip, I would be checking to see if all blades are turning at the same speed. Have you checked to see if your belt is worn, all spindles are turning freely, belt tension is correct, and all pulleys are in good condition.
Are you sure you installed the cutting side of the blade in the correct direction?

MO_Hacker

Threads
I’m trying to understand how in the world you’ve just lived with this thing cutting like this for 15 years?

coffeesnob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds to me like the reason it was sold after 100 hrs was it’s a poorly designed deck.

Gord Baker

Threads
Try mowing when the grass is no more than 4" high once you have determined that you have the correct blade length. The 'teeth' on the belts do not keep the belt in 'time'. Check Spindle nut tightness and blade tightness.
Do your blades have engagement cutouts in the centre of them? Remove the blades and check bottom of spindles to be sure there is a positive engagement.
I should have looked at the photo first! You are cutting a field with way too Tall grass for your mower. The front wheels are likely flattening it before the blades get a chance to cut it.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds to me like the reason it was sold after 100 hrs was it’s a poorly designed deck.
I doubt that was the case. It can be made to cut better. However, a zero turn isn’t going to cut that stuff like a tractor pulled Bush Hog.