Governor shaft seal leak

LSU-Mike

Threads
After replacing the upper shaft seal and breather plate and gasket I thoroughly cleaned the oily mess. After mowing a couple of hours I can see a new oily mess from what appears to be a leak at the governor shaft seal. After watching a couple of YouTube videos it doesn't appear to be a particularly difficult job to replace the seal - the worst part might be removing and replacing all of the "stuff" to get to the seal. In addition to being careful to get the alignment correct between the shaft and shaft arm, and cleaning the shaft thoroughly to protect the new seal, are there other caveats I should be aware of?

One video specifies a seal part number 92049-7019, but he never says what model Kawasaki he has. Mine is FH580V-AW00. Would his p/n work for mine?

Thanks

txmowman

Threads
That is the correct part number for the seal. All Kawasaki engines use this part. It is best to reset the governor according to the service manual. The procedure is very easy to perform.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes the particular seal can be leak a lot of oil on the Kawasaki engines.
1722078666510.png

That seal can be a royal pain to get out while the engine is still assembled but can be done. Or it has been for me on several the engines that I had to change it out.

Its small size is what makes so hard to get out. Much easier with the sump off but I don't like having to open the crankcase unless it is necessary.

Don't the governor shaft slip in the sump while installing the seal. And just make sure you do the static governor adjustment after you get thing back together.

LSU-Mike

Threads
Thanks guys. Hopefully this will be the last leak fix…at least for a little while.

txmowman

Threads
The 92049-7019 should be red or rust color. The original on older engines was black (92049-7005). Don't accept that seal. It will work but that is the one that leaks all the time.

LSU-Mike

Threads
The 92049-7019 should be red or rust color. The original on older engines was black (92049-7005). Don't accept that seal. It will work but that is the one that leaks all the time.
Thanks for the heads-up txmowman.

LSU-Mike

Threads
I've received the correct seal and removed all of the pieces and parts connected to the shaft. Marked the alignment of the shaft arm relative to the shaft arm. Cleaned the shaft thoroughly. None of the videos I've watched say anything about draining the engine oil. Is draining necessary?

txmowman

Threads
Not necessary to drain the engine oil. Just replace whatever does leak out. You should perform a governor adjustment a “realignment” does not always work. Adjustment is a simple process.

Loose the pinch bolt on the governor arm. There is a hole drilled in the end of the governor shaft. Use a Allen wrench or small screwdriver to turn the shat counter-clockwise and hold it there. Gently lift the governor arm so that the throttle shaft is wide-opened. Tighten the pinch bolt back down properly. (sometimes a third hand helps)

LSU-Mike

Threads
Not necessary to drain the engine oil. Just replace whatever does leak out. You should perform a governor adjustment a “realignment” does not always work. Adjustment is a simple process.

Loose the pinch bolt on the governor arm. There is a hole drilled in the end of the governor shaft. Use a Allen wrench or small screwdriver to turn the shat counter-clockwise and hold it there. Gently lift the governor arm so that the throttle shaft is wide-opened. Tighten the pinch bolt back down properly. (sometimes a third hand helps)
Thanks again txmowman.