Governor question

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just thought of this we have a hand held lazier heat gun will give it a try next time I have one running on one cylinder. You can also check for spark with a hand held tac no tac reading no spark.

arch252

Threads
Both cylinders are definitely firing. Any other suggestions? I'm at a loss

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The mower runs excellent, starts easy and idles good up and down. It has no issues until you engage the PTO or drive it up an incline and then the RPM's drop significantly.
Swap the PTO over.

What else could the issue be?

Blades could be dull.
Valves out of spec.
Engine overheating.
Improper oil.
Governor and or throttle springs messed up.
Dirty engine block and cooling fins.
Cutting too much grass at one pass.
Cutting wet grass.
Dirty air filter.
Dirty fuel tank.
Deck is clogged with grass.
Spindle bearing/s going bad.
PTO going south.
Valve adjustment check.
Tire pressure too low.
Improper belt/s installed.
Idler pulley bearings going bad.
Belt routing improper.
Blades installed upside down.
Water in the fuel.
Weak spark.

arch252

Threads
Wow, I didn't even think about the tire pressure being low, I'll bet that's why the engine drops 1200 rpm's. Thanks

arch252

Threads
Once again, the rpm's drop when I engage the PTO or when going up an incline (with the PTO off) so I'm pretty sure I can rule out anything with the PTO or the deck. And I doubt low tire pressure is an issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back in post # 2 you were told how to check if the governor is working
Did you do it ?
If so what was the result ?

arch252

Threads
I apologize Bert, I had replied but apparently I did something wrong and it did not post. Yes, I could feel the governor pulling against my finger.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That shows the governor is working as it should so either the arm has slipped on the shaft or the spring is not pulling hard enough against the arm to over power the governor.
Spring can be stretched or n the wrong place or the throttle cable is not on the right place , the outer can slip under the clip which is very common .
To set the cable loosen the cable clip & se the throttle control to wide open.
On a throttle only system pull the outer back as far as it will go & tighten the clamp
On a combined throttle/choke cable pull it back till the choke closes fully then tighten the clamp , now back off the control lever to the full speed detent and check the choke is fully open, if not adjust the cable till it just does open fully

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, I didn't even think about the tire pressure being low, I'll bet that's why the engine drops 1200 rpm's. Thanks
Tires shouldn't drop the revs that low. Obviously put more of a load on the ol' girl.

I use an old Suzuki tire pressure gauge I've got. It only goes up to 25PSI. It's very accurate down at low pressures.

billypumper

Threads
Had an LX279 for 14 years never had any real trouble from it, used non ethanol gas in it the whole time, had one problem later on with it when you engaged the PTO the motor pulled way down, replaced the battery because the light on the dash would flicker as the rpms would drop, after the battery was replaced no more problems ever, don't know what deck your using, mine was a 6 blade piranha deck (44")