Governor adjustment magnum 18

valley ranch

Threads
Hi, In the Repair manual re: governor adjustment "Pull governor arm away from the carburetor as far as it will go~grasp the end of the cross shaft with pliers and rotate clockwise as far as it will go.

Question: 1. How far should it, the cross shaft, be able to rotate?--------------------------------------I was only able to rotate the cross
shaft a fraction of an inch.

2. Is the govenor arm the longer of the two?--------------------------------in the manual both arms are are referred to as the
govenor arm in different places.

Thanks Richard

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The govenor shaft only rotates about 30 deg which by the time you get to the end of the govenor arm is some where between 1/4" & 3/4" depending upon the actual throttle set up

valley ranch

Threads
Ta, and the governor arm, is it the long or short one.

Richard

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ta, and the governor arm, is it the long or short one.

Richard

Two arms or one arm with a clamp 2/3 down its length ?
Obviously you can not give the same item a different name at either end.
It should be self explanatory .
"Move the governor arm away from the carburettor "is talking about the end that is connected to the carburettor by the throttle control rod.
The whole point of the govenor is to move the throttle in order to match power to load and keep constant speed.
The other end has a series of holes and if you read the manual bit further on it will instruct you how to decide which hole to attach the spring to.
The spings hold the throttle open and the throttle control you move when you are using the motor changes the tension on these springs which sets the maximum amount of throtle opening . If ungoverned the motor would be WFO all the time, for a short time till the conrod breaks & totals your engine.
The governor pushes back against these springs to keep the engine at constant speed, so as the engine speed reduces the governor applies less force against the springs which allows the springs to pull the throttle open a bit further

If you are totally unfamiliar with the theory of how the item you are working on operates then please read or at least skim through the entire manual before you get out the Snap Ons usually this will give you a reasonable overview of what got on and thus the instructions will make a lot more sense.
This is the basic ifference between a service manual & a workshop/technical manual.
The former is written for Joe Public and usually starts each section with an overview of how all the bits work together
The latter is written for trades people who have spent several years being trained in the workings of the item so has no general descriptions.

valley ranch

Threads
Well, thanks for coming by if your intention was to help. But, you can keep your Yobeo tirade.

In the same manual two different portions of the linkage are referred to as the governor arm.

Thanks for the bother I won't need your help again.

Richard

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Slow down Valley, let's start this again. I don't know which manual you have, so I have included the one I use. Go to page 6A.13 and use the procedure listed there. Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, please refer to the pictures in this manual, so we all know what is being talked about. Remember, I will help you, I just have to be on the same page as you so I know what you are saying. If I can't help there are other good tech here who will jump in to help both of us.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Koh...hler-Service-Repair-Manual-Magnum-M18-M20.pdf

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well, thanks for coming by if your intention was to help. But, you can keep your Yobeo tirade.

In the same manual two different portions of the linkage are referred to as the governor arm.

Thanks for the bother I won't need your help again.

Richard

OK , Valley if you want to find offence be my guest, none was intended.
It is obvious from your question you have no idea of how the engine you are trying to fix works.
While small engine repair is not rocket science, it is not childs play either and people messing with them who do not understand how they work can be dangerous if not fatal.
I for one would preffer you to be offended and living with all of your body parts intact than than spending the rest of your life with one blid eye because the rod let go and shot a lump of hot oily metal into your face.

When some one takes the time & effort to explain how the thing actually works and why you may have found the manual you are using confusing, it is obviously done with both your best intentions and your future best interests in mind.
Public manuals like "How to repair Small engines by Dempesy " are written for Joe public with little or no knowledge of small engines and use very little jargon because the writer assumes you do not know and will easily get confused.
The Kohler service manual you were quoting from ( and I have the said same book here ) assumes you are a qualified tradesperson so does not go to the extent of explaining what every thing does & why it dose it.

Giving instructions of the "fold tab A over and put in slot B" will not help you in the long run particularly when you start it and find the spring is in the wrong place and the governor shuts down the engine the instant it starts or rockets strait up to 6000 rpm and explodes.

And the Service manual calls the whole thing a govenor arm because that is what it is from one end to the other, One piece of metal, one part, one name.
The fact that each end is connected to a different item is irrelevant .

Oh and you might have noticed that there are sveral thousand people on this list but I was the only one willing to help you, hardly a tirade.

valley ranch

Threads
Greetings Rivets, Greetings Bert, Excuse me for jumping out of my tree. I did take offence. Now, reading the same post, I see there was no need.

I'm retired, journeyman mechanic, I've worked on a few small engines, I have no experienced with Kohler engines. I know what a govenor is for, this on is not working. I've adjusted this one according to the manual. I'll have another look, I'd rather stay in here with a large brandy, very cold out.

If I have to split the case to make this one work, I'll govern it in another way.

Thanks for posting the manual, I have access to that one. I will let you know what I find.

Bert, forgive, I appreciate the help.

Richard

I've read the section re: High speed stop, I'll have a look when conditions are better.

Last edited:

valley ranch

Threads
Greetings, Seems to be running well, the governor is working. I set it by ear. My tachometer can be used for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders don't know if I can arrange it's use for this engine. The air filter looks like it will be good for the sawmill, keeping the dust out, it's the pancake type.

It helps to be able to to talk to guys that know a bit about what you're dealing with. I am thankful for the advice!

Richard