GOODBYE TO ELECTRIC

Lawn Pro
Threads
Modern 2.0 Turbo engines like the one in my Ford Maverick pickup are superb time tested well built engines that give great gas milage and power.
Wife has same 2.0L turbo'd Eco-Boost engine in her Lincoln. No complaints to date..

Heretik

Threads
Hello, I'm new to the forum with targeted interest in Ryobi 80V ZTR and specifically the 42" cut.
Purchased late May 2024.

Only disappointment and truly a choice I had to make was the 42 inch "Stamped Deck".
I wasn't of a mind to pay for the larger "manufactured deck", as 42" is in my comfort zone. I have a Hustler Raptor 42" with manufactured deck with "lap bar steering" and transitioning to iDrive joy-stick steering has been a chore...muscle memory has yet to develop fully. I've never wrecked a shopping cart nor my Raptor 42, but I'm dreading the day when this Ryobi with iDrive is going to do some damage. I creep (slower than January Maple Syrup) between the 12YO Toyota Camry and 54YO Chevy CST to the Ryobi's reserved barn parking.

I see the cost of Batteries is a scalding subject of discussion. We didn't go to war to rape Afghanistan of their Trillions in Lithium Reserves but rather for their Billions in annual Opium production. We wouldn't have an opium crisis here at home without it. Somebody tell me, why any sane individual would voluntarily serve multiple tours in a carp hole like Afghanistan.

Quite true the cost of a 80V Briefcase Battery is eye opening at $900 each, 06.12.24 MSRP
(+/- $1). Outrageous in fact, considering all the warring we did to re-install Al-Qaeda into power.
But, I digress. And $350 for the 40V "supplemental" batteries (SB) that are included with a $4000 Electric ZTR Mower.

Stress Test them batteries my friends. BTW, Ryobi dropped the price on the 42" ZTR mower by $2000. Seems no one was willing to take the plunge for the Original $6000 MSRP tag. And for $4000 they are lined up, and sun-faded, ready to go at you local HomeDepot.

Stress Testing batteries led me to conclude the 1st unit received was defective. All power usage was being drained from the "SB".
Evidenced by LED readout showing charge level down to 60%; but, the 80V Briefcase Battery (BB) check indication a full tank (100%). Swapped it, the 1st unit, for a 2nd and put it to the test. Suspicion validated when LED readout of 60% was verified by BB check of 59-61% and
likewise the SB idiot lights indicating 50+%.

I read that charging is a subject for discussion. The longevity of batteries is predicated on the number of "charging cycles". That raises the question, if Li-Ion batteries don't acquire a charging level memory then why is the number charging cycles a factor?
Nonetheless, I have taken to maximizing the number charging cycles by depleting charge levels to as low comfortable. I've gone so low as to require a scurry hurry back to the barn when the Low Battery Alert arose. An upgrade would be an audible on this alert, not simply a visual on the LED.

Double-Cut blades replacements are not available at this time, 06.12.24. The blade adapters are available @ $4.20 each. The double-cut blades do an awesome job of mulching the grass, even tall grass is no problem. The problem is them thar blades are thin and won't stand up to hitting a common red house brick. Bent the carp out of the upper blade on one side. Pounded it back into reasonably same straightness but not good enough, I surmise. Removed the same blade from the other side and I'm back to mowing. But it won't mulch the grass as before. The Red Brick incident damaged the associated blade adapter. I'm waiting for Ryobi to reverse their cranial-anal positioning and restock the blades before also ordering adapters.

Well folks, those are my 1st month notables, and I hope to hear from you.

Joed756

Threads
No big technological advances have come without pain. With electric vehicles of all types we are in the painful stage now. We will either get past the flaws or give up on the idea. It's good we didn't give up when our computers were crashing all the time and cost an arm and leg to replace.

Heretik

Threads
Good point Joed756

I see one manufacturer's application of forced air cooling during a battery recharge cycle; while another manufacturer couldn't shivagit about the matter.
Greenworks is the former and Ryobi the latter.
Speaking of Ryobi and $4100 MSRP full boat value of installed and fully enclosed batteries having zero air-flow cooling during a recharge cycle on the ZTR mower. BAD, bad dipshitz! I suppose that is one of them thar growing pains.

I've a Greenworks Leaf Blower. Don't waste your money. It was a mistake when I ordered it; and, I was unable to cancel as it was almost immediately assigned a shipping order number. That was slick! It has a 60V battery having no amp hour identification on it. I can't image how many batteries would be necessary for clearing the average home lot. I'm lucky to get to the end of my driveway on a single charge.

Then there's the Ryobi 40V 12AH unit with a clocked 24 minute full speed max run time. How much lawn clearing can the average homeowner accomplish in 24 minutes. And a 2nd battery will cost > $350.

GrumpyCat

Threads
Good point Joed756

I see one manufacturer's application of forced air cooling during a battery recharge cycle; while another manufacturer couldn't shivagit about the matter.
Greenworks is the former and Ryobi the latter.
EGo chargers use forced air through the battery. Don’t know if they do the same in push mowers during discharge. The battery is in a clean, closed, compartment that could have airflow. Don’t remember any filter for that compartment. 1st generation 2016 EGo mower.

GrumpyCat

Threads
Quite true the cost of a 80V Briefcase Battery is eye opening at $900 each, 06.12.24 MSRP
How much is a new engine?
It doesn’t really matter.

What matters is how much service you get for what you pay. Consider cost of gasoline, cost of getting gasoline, motor oil, and replacement engine. Is pretty hard to accurate estimate for comparison which suggests the results are close.

I still use an EGo 56v 7.5ah battery from 2016. Seems to have 80-99% of original capacity based on mowing time. Not a great comparison because hard to say if I was mowing taller or thicker grass now vs then.

Stress Testing batteries led me to conclude the 1st unit received was defective. All power usage was being drained from the "SB".
Evidenced by LED readout showing charge level down to 60%; but, the 80V Briefcase Battery (BB) check indication a full tank (100%). Swapped it, the 1st unit, for a 2nd and put it to the test. Suspicion validated when LED readout of 60% was verified by BB check of 59-61% and
I have no idea what you said.

I read that charging is a subject for discussion. The longevity of batteries is predicated on the number of "charging cycles".
No!

That raises the question, if Li-Ion batteries don't acquire a charging level memory then why is the number charging cycles a factor?
It is not.

Nonetheless, I have taken to maximizing the number charging cycles by depleting charge levels to as low comfortable.
Congratulations! You are doing the worst thing possible for lithium battery life.

A lithium-ion battery wears fastest as one deviates from 50% SOC. Wear increases greatly as one approaches the upper and lower limits.

Consumer devices do not provide the user with the ability to limit total charge. Also we have no knowing of how full the manufacturer defines “full”. So we have to trust a full charge is to a safe limit and not truly 100% of the cell’s potential.

Hopefully they have done same with the lower limit protecting yourself from yourself.

Discharge to less than full discharge for getting the maximum acres mowed during the battery’s life. This is what we do with EVs. I routinely charge to 70% which is 230 miles. Few days are over 50 miles but I’m ready if need be. Today was 150 miles and charged to 270 this morning.

Previous Tesla car’s battery had 93% of original capacity at 10 years treating it this way.

aussielawny

Threads
How much is a new engine?
It doesn’t really matter.

What matters is how much service you get for what you pay. Consider cost of gasoline, cost of getting gasoline, motor oil, and replacement engine. Is pretty hard to accurate estimate for comparison which suggests the results are close.

I still use an EGo 56v 7.5ah battery from 2016. Seems to have 80-99% of original capacity based on mowing time. Not a great comparison because hard to say if I was mowing taller or thicker grass now vs then.

I have no idea what you said.

No!

It is not.

Congratulations! You are doing the worst thing possible for lithium battery life.

A lithium-ion battery wears fastest as one deviates from 50% SOC. Wear increases greatly as one approaches the upper and lower limits.

Consumer devices do not provide the user with the ability to limit total charge. Also we have no knowing of how full the manufacturer defines “full”. So we have to trust a full charge is to a safe limit and not truly 100% of the cell’s potential.

Hopefully they have done same with the lower limit protecting yourself from yourself.

Discharge to less than full discharge for getting the maximum acres mowed during the battery’s life. This is what we do with EVs. I routinely charge to 70% which is 230 miles. Few days are over 50 miles but I’m ready if need be. Today was 150 miles and charged to 270 this morning.

Previous Tesla car’s battery had 93% of original capacity at 10 years treating it this way.
This ^^

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wife has same 2.0L turbo'd Eco-Boost engine in her Lincoln. No complaints to date..
Well spoke too soon on 2 things (wife is gonna become X-wife) & her Linc threw 2 codes for the turbo.
P0299 & P144L Turbo under boost & Evap Emission Purge I think.

Not my problem.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Hello, I'm new to the forum with targeted interest in Ryobi 80V ZTR and specifically the 42" cut.
Purchased late May 2024.

Only disappointment and truly a choice I had to make was the 42 inch "Stamped Deck".
I wasn't of a mind to pay for the larger "manufactured deck", as 42" is in my comfort zone. I have a Hustler Raptor 42" with manufactured deck with "lap bar steering" and transitioning to iDrive joy-stick steering has been a chore...muscle memory has yet to develop fully. I've never wrecked a shopping cart nor my Raptor 42, but I'm dreading the day when this Ryobi with iDrive is going to do some damage. I creep (slower than January Maple Syrup) between the 12YO Toyota Camry and 54YO Chevy CST to the Ryobi's reserved barn parking.

I see the cost of Batteries is a scalding subject of discussion. We didn't go to war to rape Afghanistan of their Trillions in Lithium Reserves but rather for their Billions in annual Opium production. We wouldn't have an opium crisis here at home without it. Somebody tell me, why any sane individual would voluntarily serve multiple tours in a carp hole like Afghanistan.

(+/- $1). Outrageous in fact, considering all the warring we did to re-install Al-Qaeda into power.
But, I digress. And $350 for the 40V "supplemental" batteries (SB) that are included with a $4000 Electric ZTR Mower.

Stress Test them batteries my friends. BTW, Ryobi dropped the price on the 42" ZTR mower by $2000. Seems no one was willing to take the plunge for the Original $6000 MSRP tag. And for $4000 they are lined up, and sun-faded, ready to go at you local HomeDepot.

I read that charging is a subject for discussion. The longevity of batteries is predicated on the number of "charging cycles". That raises the question, if Li-Ion batteries don't acquire a charging level memory then why is the number charging cycles a factor?
Nonetheless, I have taken to maximizing the number charging cycles by depleting charge levels to as low comfortable. I've gone so low as to require a scurry hurry back to the barn when the Low Battery Alert arose. An upgrade would be an audible on this alert, not simply a visual on the LED.

Double-Cut blades replacements are not available at this time, 06.12.24. The blade adapters are available @ $4.20 each. The double-cut blades do an awesome job of mulching the grass, even tall grass is no problem. The problem is them thar blades are thin and won't stand up to hitting a common red house brick. Bent the carp out of the upper blade on one side. Pounded it back into reasonably same straightness but not good enough, I surmise. Removed the same blade from the other side and I'm back to mowing. But it won't mulch the grass as before. The Red Brick incident damaged the associated blade adapter. I'm waiting for Ryobi to reverse their cranial-anal positioning and restock the blades before also ordering adapters.

Well folks, those are my 1st month notables, and I hope to hear from you.
Believe me, the stamped deck will not be your only disappointment on this mower. Wait until the batteries take a dump and you see the cost of labor and replacement. Wait until you need service and the nearest service center is in the next state 90 miles away. It is a choice people make when buying off brand products from big box stores.