Good value torque wrenches without breaking the bank?

Air4Dave

Threads
This looks like a fairly good one, for the price point. Most folks don’t use these but maybe once, so, as you stated, it’s important that it stored oiled and clean, with a small amount of tension.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have been using the 1/2" version for two years now. Just got to not being tossing it around as the painted numbers will come off if dinged. Other than that it came with 1/2% of spec'd settings and still there.

biggertv

Threads
The question of "What should I do if it doesn't meet spec?" needs to be considered, too. That's the main thing preventing me buying a used torque wrench- repairing isn't cheap.

biggertv

Threads
Perfect calibration is not needed for lawn equipment. the key is Consistency. As long as All head or sump Bolts are Torqued to the Same Value, a couple of inch-pounds off won't hurt.

Robert II

Forum Newbie
Threads
The one I have, is an OEM bought from AutoZone . It is 20-200 in/lbs. it came with a certificate of accuracy, instructions for use, go above desired setting and adjust down, and for storage one full turn below lowest setting, other than the locking screw unscrewing when removing load, it is a great Wrench, I test it regularly using an 8point socket attached to my Matco TW, and the OEM, and test above the setting on the Matco , and unload to below the setting of the Matco. The price in 7/2015 was $52.65 including sales tax. WORTH EVERY PENNY ! The C.O.A. and the receipt (lifetime warranty)are stored folded up neatly in the storage case.

Gym123

Threads
Perfect calibration is not needed for lawn equipment. the key is Consistency. As long as All head or sump Bolts are Torqued to the Same Value, a couple of inch-pounds off won't hurt.
Perfect, no, but with Aluminum parts, it's not a bad idea to be more precise. With cast iron, it's not as critical in most cases but in a case like the Briggs that really should have had a bolt where the gasket fails so frequently, undershooting the torque will just make it fail sooner and overshooting will just strip the holes. I used a small 1/4" ratchet when I tightened the bolts the first time, before buying the torque adapter, because a long 3/8" wrench would have made stripping far too easy.