Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just run an adblocker script.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Or use Brave Browser
Right now Brave is blocking 69 adds and the good thing isweb pages do not see the add blocking so those that will not load to a browser with a blocker extension will load into Brave .
Then adds will never stop because running forum is a lot more expensive than most outside the industry would believe ,
The ones I administer cost from $400 to $ 5000 a year and way way more if they need a tech to sort out problems .
The moronic 1/2 witt ego maniacs who write the adds write them to show other moronic 1/2 witt add writes how smart they are so they get more & more complex to the point that they take forever to load and the ones with video will hyjack your processor so you can not manually close the page or even turn the computer off other than pulling the plug while they are running .
Like print media, the actual adds are placed by advertizing agents so B & S has no control over the adds and very little over where they are actually placed, they would just buy a "lawn & garden " package .
I was involved with a group more than a decade ago who email bombed the product makers saying we would boycott their product unless they reduced / modified / removed their adds
Basically we were told to piss off & of course the agency who placed them claimed it proved that people were seeing the adds so it did not work like it did will the bill board campaign .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
To me most of the ads are for things that I never buy in the first place so they are a total waste of my time and the bandwidth that I pay for monthly. Besides this site and others that I donate my time to really should be paying us professional techs for our expert knowledge. I do wonder why I even bother to help others at times as it is very ever return when I need it.

It like the ads on the one monster they are a waste of my time other than giving my time to piss.

As for ads on this site I seen as many 200 ads blocked at times. An ad blocker was one of the first add-ons that I installed in FF and now I also run a script blocker. I only enable the lawnmowerforum.com script if I need to post images. As long as I don't the script my ad blocker see no ads to block.

I might look into Brave but right now those sites that will not load can just suck wind.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Brave is awesome. No ads anywhere.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just instsllrd adguard. Let's see what happens.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I appreciate that it costs money to make information available
I don't know if it cost money to subscribe to factory service information as I don't do it ( most likely part of the franchise fees )
I do have some friends who are auto mechanics and they pay from $ 700 to $ 3000 a year to subscribe to service information web sites to access service data & occasionally repair techniques & billing .
So I have no quarms about paying a reasonable fee to sites that I use
However I do have a problem sitting in front of a screen for better than 5 minutes while a script that can not run on my system tries to run.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I problem is that I just don't have the patience to sort through the ads as I am usually busy looking at multiple websites at the same time doing other work too. IE multitasking while on the computer, and talking to a customer or working on a machine. The ads are just a distraction that I don't need. Besides for me the ads are a waste on me as I rarely buy things that are heavy advertise. That like going to a new car dealer and salesmen come out like a swarm of bees, I quickly leave.

Besides I got enough headaches trying to sort the latest version of FF (version 99.0) that I just updated to. Everything is hanging up now. One minute things are working and the next they are not.

Markdd52

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ads are just part of normal internet anymore, plus they generate revenue for "free sites". They are never relevant, and serve to only annoy those who already know what their in search of. I run FF or Chrome, using two add ons.... Adblockplus & uBlock Origin. You have to disable occasionally for some sites, or login purposes. To login here requires these be disabled. Some newer websites out there require to disable or you cannot view their site. Great site BTW, been reading for years.... but never posted. Definitely some interesting personalities and conversations.