Mower News Getting my first zero turn lawn mower

Dandridge308

Forum Newbie
Threads
In the first of the year of 2015, I will be purchasing my first zero turn. I've heard a lot of good news about gravely lawn equipment. Since I live in a subdivision, mostly retired folks, I really want to start mowing there grass as well. But I have one problem, I've asked several people about which kind of gravely is best and I always get the answer "all of them". Mine and most of my neighbors yards are flat with some mid level grade to it. All lots in my neighborhood are at an acre to 2 acres. Some question for y'all: Can some body tell me if gravely is a good choice, if so which model would for what I'll be mowing. Please feel free to list your choices of what kind you would use

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
In the first of the year of 2015, I will be purchasing my first zero turn. I've heard a lot of good news about gravely lawn equipment. Since I live in a subdivision, mostly retired folks, I really want to start mowing there grass as well. But I have one problem, I've asked several people about which kind of gravely is best and I always get the answer "all of them". Mine and most of my neighbors yards are flat with some mid level grade to it. All lots in my neighborhood are at an acre to 2 acres. Some question for y'all: Can some body tell me if gravely is a good choice, if so which model would for what I'll be mowing. Please feel free to list your choices of what kind you would use

Personally I wouldn't go with a Gravely, I don't like their cut quality. I know several guys that use the Gravely Pro Turns, one being my son-in-law and they just aren't the mower that everyone claims.
The Toro Z master with the Turbo Force deck has a lot better cut, especially if you install a set of the G6 Gator blades they can't be beat IMO. What you buy should be based on how many lawns you're wanting or are going to be doing.
I'm living in and doing a Sub-division the way you want to do and I started with just a few lawns and the mower I purchased was a small ZTR and after a few months I came to the conclusion it wasn't going to be enough mower so I went to the Toro Grandstand, it's faster and a much more maneuverable and productive mower than a ztr and now I'm doing over 70 plus yards a week.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

You don't mention your "budget" for your first ZTR purchase. I don't usually argue with user Ric, but I don't hesitate to offer a rebuttal on this one. Granted the Toro Turbo-Force is a great deck(you have to go with the 3000 series to get a full 7gauge deck), but I would mow side-by side against a 52" Z-Master 3000 with my 52" Gravely Pro-Turn 100 XDZ(with Gravely's 7gauge X-Factor deck) and the quality of my cut would speak for itself. Also, I can't seem to get a "price" on Toro's website, but the 2014 Gravely Pro-Turn 152 has a MSRP of $8,499 and my local dealer has it on sale for $7,699. I would challenge user Ric to provide the price comparison for the 52" Toro Z-Master 3000.

Now if user Ric's son-in-law is using the Gravely "base" Pro-Turn(not the XDZ fully Commercial series), you would have to compare it to either the Toro Z-Master 2000 series. The base Pro-Turn doesn't have the Gravely X-Factor deck and the Toro Z-Master's Turbo-Force deck may have a "slight edge" on cut quality(but again you would need to consider the price difference(the Gravely base Pro-Turn in 52" has a MSRP of $6,999 and is on sale at my local dealer for $6,299). Considering that I bough my 2012 Gravely in the Fall(and I can HIGHLY recommend that you try to buy Sept-Nov to get your best deal just before the dealer gets the next year models in) I spent $6,800 out-the-door(approx $1,300 less than the 2013 model MSRP plus tax) and I couldn't have touched a Toro Z-Master 3000 for even close to that(the Toro dealer quoted $6,100 plus taxes on a 52" 2012 Z-Master "2000").

Sooooo, all that being said, I recommend that you reply with what you are willing to spend and we can make suggestions(I also recommend brands other than Gravely) but you need to go to the dealers, look at the ZTR's closely, ask the dealers to let you demo them, compare specs & price and then make a decision. There are a LOT of good ZTR's on the market and your final decision won't be easy:0(

P.S.
If you want to research the Gravelys check out the link below. All you have to do is click on Find A Dealer and you can get current pricing at your nearest dealer.

Pro-Turn 100 Commercial Zero turn Mower

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
my son -in-law is running the Pro turn 148 in the 48" and 60" cut. They've been doing some of my lawns for the last month because I've been laid up and they don't have the cut that my Grandstand does, I can tell you that and the Z master 3000 is using the same deck as the Grandstand. As far as price goes that would be debatable. The problem you have with that is there are to many variables to consider. Things like engine make and HP make a big difference in price along with location plays a big difference. You said you spent 6800$ out the door on your Gravely, the ZM 2000 is 6499 regular price and I can get it for a lot less than that out the door, right now toro is offering 500$ off on any of the Z Master mowers and I can get at least 10% off after there discount.

Now You and people may think I'm crazy but if you want the best bang for you money World Lawn and Encore mowers are the best money can buy right now. There set ups are great. The Grandstand in a 52 inch cut is going for some where around 9K with the Kawasaki 15hp FS engine. The World Lawn Viper and Encore Rage are as heavy duty as it can get and comes with a 23 hp Kawasaki FS for $5749.

Just check the Stander spec's

http://www.encoreequipment.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Rage-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Check The ZTR specs @ $5999

http://www.worldlawn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Cobra-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Last edited:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The encore stander looks like a good mower at a good price.

Do you know anyone that has one?
I will assume the cut is not as good as the toro

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The encore stander looks like a good mower at a good price.

Do you know anyone that has one?
I will assume the cut is not as good as the toro

I don't know anyone who has the stander but I know there are some businesses that are using the ZTR mowers and they have a real nice cut. I'm thinking if I get ready for another mower I'm going to take a serious look at there 52" stander.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been looking at getting a stander.

I still like my riders but been using my snapper walk behind and a toro ztr on my residential yards ( up to 23 now ) and thinking a stander is the best way to go.

Trying to get away from doing foreclosed homes. I miss doing nice yards.