Getting 2nd pull from Briggs starter without letting it spin to a stop 1st?

neophyte

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Getting 2nd pull from Briggs starter without letting it spin to a stop 1st?
I have a Briggs 8 HP chipper which I am restoring. I am able to get the engine running smoothly without the chipper impeller attached.

However once I add the impeller disk it is too much mass and I am unable to get it to start with the pull starter.

The main problem is that the pull starter allows exactly one pull. It has ball bearings inside which do not allow a second pull while it is still spinning from the first pull.

I feel like I could get enough momentum if the starter was like most starters and allowed a second pull while it was still spinning.

My question is, has anyone ever modified a Briggs ball bearing type pull starter so the that you can give it multiple pulls? I am thinking I could glue or solder them in place but I want to see if anyone else has already solved this problem?

neophyte

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the clutch apart and there doesn't seem to be a way to make it work without causing it to lock up entirely. Is the only other option to add an electric starter motor?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Post the model number of the engine, usually stamped around the spark plug area on flatheads.
Might could add electric start to it

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No you can not do what you are asking about with a sprag clutch , not can you do it with a pawl clutch.
here is something wrong with the shredder if the load is so high that you can not start the shredded with the blade attached .

neophyte

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is:

Model 170452-1251-01
Code 74062610

When I had it apart I did what I could to increase the compression but when I test it I find it only has about 45 lbs. I had gotten it to run with the impeller on once or twice but most times it starts to kick over and dies while I'm waiting for the puller clutch to stop spinning.

I think one factor is the flail arms on the impeller swing outward and slow the disk down right when the engine is trying to get to the second power stroke. Similar to getting spun in a swing then letting your arms out to slow down. I will try taking those off to see if it makes it easier to start.

neophyte

Forum Newbie
Threads
Removing the rotating flails made it MUCH easier to pull start. I was surprised how much those were slowing it down because they swing out and pull all the angular momentum out of the rest of it. I had noticed before that if I used my legs to spring my whole body up at the very last minute and overcome the flails as the swing out that I could sometimes get it started but with the flails gone it starts much more easily.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have a good look at the hammers , pins & spacers they do wear
Then check the bearings on the drum axle .
I am unfamiliar with your exact unit but the bearings do fail quite regularly on hammer mill type shredders
a good quality one will use self aligning bearings